Impalas.net banner

Help with ‘62 wheels and tire size

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Petroleum1 
#1 ·
Hi all i am new here…my question is i have a all stock ‘62 impala and would like to install 15” GM rally wheels ( 15x7”) and the following tire size. 215/70/R15 front and 235/70/15 rear. I want the car to have a little rake so the rear tires are slightly taller. Will they fit without rubbing. Ty Vin

#2 ·
If you don't hear from another 62 owner it's not too hard to work out. The 14" & 15" GM rims will both be neutral backspacing so essentially the rim will be 1/2" wider on both sides while maintaining the exact same center point. Next all you need to do is compare your existing tire specs to those of your new tire sizes & once you know the differences then you can measure for clearance

#15 ·
several years ago I picked up a mid-80s gbody with extra parts that the owner was going to install for going LeMons racing. and he knew what he was doing as we saw his racing log book for all the settings etc.
anyway, in order to lower the vehicle he spec'd out springs from a completely different vehicle that would fit. he showed me how he did it (which I did not know you could do)
1- he got the initial spring specs for height and size and 'end connector'
2- he then looked up in a complete catalog and sorted out all the springs that had the right style 'end connector' and height he wanted
3- then he checked for the spring rates

I checked this one time myself a year after I bought it from him and it is a valid method (though tedious) but you have to know what you are doing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.