Impalas.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys... been lurking for a bit, and slowly playing with my 1965 Impala 4 Door 283/powerglide...

I have put on a edelbrock intake and 4 bbl carb, and upgrade ignition/distributor system to HEI with new plug wires, distributor, and added electric choke. my question is this: Before its completely warmed up, when you first hit the gas in gear, it will cut out briefly, make a loud CLICK (or tick -- just one!), then run fine until the next stop sign/stop light. I have played with the plunger on the carb, tried all 3 settings, and played with the adjustment screws a bit (fuel mixture screws). this doesn't seem to make a difference. I adjusted the timing as best i could.

With the car in neutral or park, i can rev the engine as much as i want, and it doesn't cut out in any way whatsoever... only under full load of engaged transmission...

once the car is warmed up, this goes away.. and i just hear the constant tick of my exhaust leak (that i need to find and fix)....

odd thing, but hopefully will help you experts... it did the exact same thing before i replaced the intake, carb, distributor, choke. same exact behavior on the all original engine.

I'm certainly capable, but I'm not expert, and I'm not exactly sure what direction to look now... any guidance would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
Hey J, welcome to the site.

I'm having a hard time imagining the noise you've got there. it kinda sounds like a slight intake/carb backfire. Did you set the timing by ear? If you have a vacuum gauge, it's fairly easy to find optimal timing and idle A/F mixture by setting for highest vacuum reading.

You're practically a neighbor down in Mason, I'm in Miami Township just off 741 and just north of Springboro. Shoot me a PM if you need any hands-on help.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is that the stock cam? Sounds like a timing issue like Allan suggested. Set the timing with vacuum canister unplugged (using a timing light). Does the vacuum advance work? Stock initial timing is something around 4 degrees with another 8 or so added when you plug the vac advance into full manifold vacuum. With the Eddy carb it is the vacuum port on the driver's side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies... I haven't visually checked the cam, but I can't imagine its anything other than the stock, so we'll have to rely on that. Doesn't sound like anyone messed with it to me...

I have an Edelbrock 1406 with a performer 2701 intake.

I set the timing using a light, but I honestly don't remember what I set it to. Vacuum advance is working. I did try both ports for the vacuum line on the carb during my troubleshooting, but I am pretty sure I ended up with it on the proper vacuum port (driver's side), with the other one properly plugged.

Sounds like I should probably just run through the whole carb setup/timing again and see if i come up with something a little different.

I do not have a vacuum gauge, but i could pick up a cheap one (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93547) if that looks like what i need.

When i mess with timing using a vacuum guage, what am I looking for?

Thanks for the help! I'm still learning!

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
With the vacuum gauge hooked up to a 'manifold vacuum' port, eg. below the carb butterflies, you can adjust the timing and the idle/mixture screws trying to reach the highest vacuum reading possible. You may need to even re-adjust the idle *speed* back to a normal reading during this process. (usually the adjustments end up increasing the idle rpm to some degree)

Keep tweaking for the highest reading. In the end, if it happens that the car is a little slow on the cranking, or you hear the tell-tale sound of detonation when driving on a hot day, you would then back the timing down by 2 degrees. Also known as "a smidge of distributor turn". :)

·
Super Moderator
1,518 Posts
1406 is a little big for the 283. The 1405 would have been a better choice. You may need to jet that 1406 down a bit. Follow Matt's advice on timing, then use the vacuum gauge to adjust the idle A/F mix (keeping the idle at the right RPM) until you have the highest vacuum reading.

lol, great minds think alike. Dave posted at the exact same time as me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts