Impalas.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Mayur and I have a Chevy Impala 2003 LS.
3.8 Ltr V6.

I bought it as a used car in 2010 and it had clocked 82000 Miles. . I think it already had some transmission issues which were not detected by over time it became worse at around 88 - 89K. The gears would not change and it would only increase RPM when trying to pickup.
High RPM even during Idling would go upto 2000.

With great difficulty my mechanic found a Transmission from an old car which had clocked 75K miles and changed the transmission. Also found that due to the transmission problem, had a blocked CAT. Changed the CAT too.

Got it back last nite. Even now in idling I find that the RPM is about 1000 but comes down sometimes at random. Not sure what is going on. The mechanic says it will settle down after driving for some days. But I somehow feel its not that way....

Can anyone guide me on this ? Whats going on ...

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
is the person that diagnosed the transmission problem, the same as the person that diagnosed the 'blocked CAT' also the same as the person saying "..it will settle down in a few days"?

It does not make good sense to replace a transmission with 88000 miles with a tranny with 75000 miles. Also, transmission problems do not cause blocked catalytic convertors. I think he's ripping you off. I wouldn't go back.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
This board is dedicated to Chevrolet's B-body cars which where made from 1958 to 1999, though only five or six members own anything made past 1971.

You are driving one of three different body styles that Chevy labeled as an Impala after they ceased production of the big rear wheel drive car we all have as it was just recycling a name on a car that they designed in Sweden at Volvo, and built in Australia, or somewhere else (though they have been producing the newer W-body cars in both Canada and Mexico lately which under NAFTA treaties means it gets to proudly say made in the USA).

Either way we deal with cars that have carburetors, not EFI like your car does and your problem is most likely a computer based problem not something that can be fixed with screw driver like our cars can be.

Sorry for the confusion but we are talking American V-8 powered cars from the muscle car era on this board. Chevy does offer free technical support on their GoodWrench board to help customers figure out what the error codes mean (they usually mean bring it into an authorized GM dealership).

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
I know '96 was the last time Chevy had an Impala SS but I think they continued to build Caprice Classics up until 1999 as Police departments needed the big Rear Wheel Drive cars for patrol work. Now cops use Denali and Escalates and Tahoe's for traffic enforcement in order to get the back seat they need (Ford stopped making the four door RWD Crown Vic last year).

Chevy had the still borne Zeta platform that was to be the new Caprice (it was finalized and sixty prototypes built as well as all of the tooling in place to build it when GM went into bankruptcy). Because the tooling wasn't paid for, the car died. The Epsilon body was the Volvo project that kept China from buying Volvo after Chevy had already sold off the company to a bunch of Swedish investors who wanted to save the Volvo name tag. Chevy is using the current W body; which is just a rebadged Malibu/Monte Carlo, as it is listed as a mid sized car on their web site, while GM contemplates reintroducing a bigger Impala RWD car with the option of a V-8 motor built by Caddy (the current collection of lettered Caddys is getting long in the tooth).

Big Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts