Impalas.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems locating the hood to cowl seal for my impala. I've checked various catalogs, but can only find for 1967... would that fit a 68? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome Hector, Ahh... the old "cowl seal for a 68" thing :). I am resto-ing one 68'vert. myself and they are not reproduced as a 68'.
A 68' is a 3 piece seal, 1 cowl seal; 2 fender filler seals.
You can use a 67' but buy the sponge seals with them for they direct the water to the outside of the cowl.
The factory seals that we are replacing were a 1 piece designed to be a part of that sponge seal and the seal to separate the engine bay and the doors from water/air. This seal was installed before the fenders went on and they clipped onto a lip on the cowl side's.
As always pics!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information John, I never would of know it was a 3-piece seal (mine was mostly missing and only had a few pieces here and there) :(. Just to get it straight, I need the 67 hood to cowl seal and the pair of 67 grille sponge seals? Here are some pictures of the work in progress...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That is correct. I have not ordered any yet but that's all that's offered to us as of now. There is a pic. of those seals in the assembly manual if you have one, they are
some needed books in my mind.
Your top looks nice and staight, mine is bowed in the middle on the drivers side.....thats a whole other project in itself. Is that a spoiler on the canvas?
Could you take a pic. of your vent windows? I'm more interested in the gapping and positions of the vent window to "A" pillar to door area. I have a recent post in here about that, so any pics would be great. It looks like your panel alignment's are very good and I'd like to see what I'm missing. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I found the seal a Hubbard's, along with the sponges. Will probably order today. Yeah that's a spoiler, not for the impala, guess the painter ran out of tables...
I'll try and get some pictures this afternoon and post them up for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hmm, I was only aware of 2 pieces for the 68's; the long rubber seal and the foam insert on the passenger side. I have the originals for my Caprice in a box. I laid them out on the cowl recently and can't see where a 3rd part would go.

Nobody remakes it yet. The 67 design is different since they introduced hidden wipers in 68.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I already ordered the one for the 67, so I'll have to adapt it until they reproduce the ones for the 68. I think the 68 is one of the toughest to find replacement/reproduction parts for. I also have a 61 that I feel is just as difficult to find parts for, and when you do they are pretty expensive, but I love both body styles, so I'll just have to deal with it. :D

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
@ Scott In the assembly manual for 68' there is that filler seal between fender and cowl but does'nt indicate if it's installed on both sides. They only illustrate the driver's side install. I'll try to post that page for all. It may possibly be the foam on pass. and that seal on driver's.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hmm thanks John. I've got the 68 assy manual too so maybe I'll dig up that page in the garage tonight. I can snap some photos of my parts. Mine got a bit smashed in the box its been in for years but I want to make it usable.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you seal is in decent condition you could have it reproduced at a fair price by SoftSeal or Steele. It would be a nice piece buy in the aftermarket. Steele Rubber is in my area so let me know your plans for it if you want to let it go.
I don't know anyone who has this seal laying around.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The closest in shape for the center section hood to cowl seal is sold for 68 Chevelles. Ground-Up Inc (ss396.com) part # JSS-5075 is a pretty much a perfect match. I tried the ones made for 67 impalas but they are completely different and wont work. Don S

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@ Hector, have you installed you seal yet?
@ Don, Yeah I remember 68'is the first year for hideaway wipers :(
No, I haven't installed the pieces yet. After reading Don's comments regarding the use of one from a Chevelle, I'm contemplating returning what I bought and using his suggestion. I still owe you some pics of the vent, but for now, here are some pics at a show in Las Vegas last weekend. I have the car at home now, so I'll get those pics for you this week for sure. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts