Impalas.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a 66 Impala SS that I am swapping in a 454 bigblock into. I heard that the Hooker 2457HKR steel painted headers fit this car and engine....

Well they fit the passenger side just fine as noted in other posts. But if you have power steering they need some(a lot) of BFH massaging.

But for $219 shipped...and some extra power, what can you ask for? And I didn't have stock manifolds.

passenger side: fits great!

What space you have to work with on driver side Left:

little hammer work:

final fitment after paint:

may still need a little work (red circle) not rubbing but 1/8" space.

·
Super Moderator
13,041 Posts
The motor will move under power rotating to the passenger side and rising in the vibration isolator (what folks call a motor mount) on the drivers side. So that eighth inch of clearance may disappear rapidly wearing a hole in your pipe.

Surprised that it doesn't fit, but I can not find my catalog that has all of the footnotes on fitment, such as will not fit with power steering, or you have to modify brackets to fit air conditioner compressor. With off the rack headers the big print giveth, and the small print (foot notes) taketh away.

Big Dave

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured out my problem, I had the wrong motor mount installed on the right side. Tall skinny instead of short and wide.

I installed some Prothane Motor Mounts 7-504 short and wide motor mounts and that provided about a 3/8" between the smashed area in the header and the power steering.

all they had was red in stock, oh well but they fit very well.

It's better but I would have still had to do some hammering.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would you like to know? They fit with the hammer damage.

The Car runs and drives.. just don't look at the driver side...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No issues, My car is almost stock height. Global west BB springs on front with Bilstein shocks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
header fitment

I have a pair of those same headers that I started cutting up while putting my 67 Bel Air back together. I cut the tubes for cylinders 5&7 to reroute them then found out that 3 also hit the steering box. I went online and started looking at pictures and it looked like Patriot Performance made a set for big cars that hugged the block better. They do. They clear the power steering box.I don't have the part number handy but it should be easy enough to find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
header fitment

Patriot part number is 8062. They look similar to the Hooker header but fit around the power steering box much better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have that model header in my 65 with a 427. Hooker says the engine must be mounted on factory perches and the heads that DO NOT have raised ports.

I'm using Energy poly mounts and have about 1/2" clearance from the power steering box.

It's a shame to have to beat them into submission getting them to fit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts