Impalas.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I do want to run this exercise for my own car, I thought having a thread might help others too.

With so many factors affecting the value, and the typical price guides only giving a general guide, things can get tricky if youve upgraded components on your ride. The price guides rarely account for those.

Finding places to help with general pricing is easy but often a lack of detail on a cars upgrades doesn't help with understanding pricing.

Some common sites:

Hagerty.com
Ebay.com
Classicautotrader.com
Bringatrailer.com
Nada.com
Old cars report price guide
Mecum
Barrett-Jackson
....and plenty more.

I see that NADA gives around a 10% bump for 4spd trannys and another 10% for a hi-po smallblock but a resto-mod can add other expenses too.

How do you price in a roller-cammed 383 crate motor, or a rebuilt 12 bolt rear with new posi unit, or those disc brakes, or that Global West/UMI, Hotchkis suspension? And how about those tasteful, new aftermarket rims?
I don't have either of these but some have done a digital dash or have a working A/C to boot.
Oh, and then there's the upgraded steering boxes and/or tilt column!

I'd go the appraisal route again but there dont seem to be any in my area so Ill probably end up with random pricing and trying to support my case.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
Most of the listed asking price is off the roof. There was a '59 Brookwood wagon with an LS1 running gear listed months ago from San Diego originally listed for $60k and finally sold for about $45k (?) and now the flipper is asking $60k for the same wagon bought just weeks ago. Best of luck for him.
With all the added upgrades you've mention is dependent for only ONE buyer whose in the market for those upgrades.
Ask "High", Buy "Low" is a good gauge to use.馃槉

Registered
yeah, I was at the Pate Swap meet recently and saw some insanity. a 55 Nomad for $74k, it was nice but not 74k nice!

or a guy with a wrecked (and I DO mean WRECKED!) '67 Chevelle SS 396, wanted $8k! "....but but... it has the Protect-o-Plate!"

Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Hood

Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
I guess the benefit of leaving mine mostly stock - it's much easier to agree with the book value!

My dad and grandfather always raised me to believe that non-stock and non-reversible modifications do nothing to help the value and in many cases lower the value even though they are sometimes costly mods. For a long time that seemed to be true at the auctions, but now I'm seeing restomods and other highly modified vehicles going for as much or more than stock restorations.

Registered
On a modified car how much it's worth & how much it will sell for are often quite different amounts. I wouldn't get too tied up in the calculations. Look at the for sale market for your year/model & see what else is available & figure out where you think your car sits price wise compared to the others, that's what a buyer is going to do compare,compare,compare.

Registered
yeah, I was at the Pate Swap meet recently and saw some insanity. a 55 Nomad for $74k, it was nice but not 74k nice!
Things have changed a little bit through the years. I bought my '56 Nomad back in '72 for $125. Was a pretty nice car to boot.

One reason why I cannot buy another '55-'57 out there. They are way too far out of my price range now.

Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
Things have changed a little bit through the years. I bought my '56 Nomad back in '72 for $125. Was a pretty nice car to boot.

One reason why I cannot buy another '55-'57 out there. They are way too far out of my price range now.
My dad and I bought a '57 210 2 door wagon that is very rough for $5k6 or 7 years ago. Gotten a few offers for over double that for the same exact condition it was in when we bought it. Our idea was to patch any rust and basically have the patina and patches sealed in. Make it a nice driver with the modern brakes and such and make the interior a comfortable place to be. Given the values, my dad has wanted to do a more thorough restoration, which we don't have the time (and I don't have the skill) to do.

Registered
Resto mods are becoming the normal for restorations now and they are very popular. I feel the group of people that like the all original cars is shrinking. Weather the value of the original cars will continue to rise is anybodys guess. I think the parts have gotten cheaper lately so the cars may follow. It used to be a 553 aluminum belhousing used to sell pretty fast at about $450. Now you are lucky to get $300 for one. Individual preference seems to be very important now to getting a good price for your car. More than ever you have to find that one person who really loves the car and what you have done to it. Of course as always it is very important to pick the right car to restore. 58-64 Impalas have shyrocketed in the last 5 years. 12 years ago I paid $10,000 for a 1962 Impala SS convertible that ran and drove but needed a complete restoration. Today such a vehicle will easly bring $25,000-$30,000. Fully properly restored examples are topping $100,000. now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts