Impalas.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Let us have the Engine Suffix Code on the Front Pad of the Engine.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Looking at it, it is the Left Side, but it is actually in Front and the Bottom of the Passenger Side Head. It is actually on the block itself, which extends out passed where the head is bolted to it. The pad with the numbers and letters on it is long and narrow.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Thanks! I cleaned off some oil and found the block number behind the driver side cylinder head.

3855961 and the letter P
How to decode?
That's the Casting Number, which a quick search found it to be a '65 to '67 396 or 427.

What we need is the Engine Suffix Code. I'll try to find some pictures for you.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
IV is a '65 396/325. You have an IVH and H means Holley Carb. I am not seeing an IVH for a '65 anywhere and you could have a '66 Engine there. Next you need to either find the Date Code or in your case check to see if the 6D125137 matches your VIN Number.

IVH1966396325TH400B, Holley

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The Engine Date Code is on the back of the block as also shown in the picture. It can be on the Left Side or Right Side of the shelf. But, is very hard to see with the engine still in the car. If too unreasonable, the next best thing is the heads and that would involve removing the valve cover as mentioned above. But again, that's if the heads are original to the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts