Impalas.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Impala SS 396 Convertible
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. New to the forum! I just purchased a 1965 SS 396 at auction. VIN confirms it is an original SS, but not sure how to tell if it is the 325 HP version or the 425 HP version. Did not have the opp. to talk to the previous owner, so no provenance info. Has a TurboHydramatic if that helps. I heard that the 425s all came with manuals, but not sure if that is true
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! Thanks for the info. Removing the v/c's is pretty easy on this thing (at least access is good - depends on how much gasket **** the last guy used!)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't locate any numbers on the front of the engine. Can you give any guidance about where they might be? Perhaps on the manifold? It has a replacement Edelbrock , not the original one,

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I cleaned off some oil and found the block number behind the driver side cylinder head.

3855961 and the letter P
How to decode?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks! Found it with your excellent guidance! It had a lot of engine paint over it, so I had to scrape a bit to get the numbers. Here they are:
TII03IVH6D125137
Looks like it is a Tonawanda '66 396 engine that originally came with a Powerglide? Am I reading it correctly? Also where does the VIN portion start? Doesn't really matter but just wanted to know for future ref. None of it matches my VIN! Prev. owner didn't sell it as "numbers matching" anyway, so no foul.
The BBC suffix code link at Chevymania.com is no longer working :( but I found this web page:
Chevrolet Big Block Engine Identification Casting No, & Engine Codes (wowmusclecars.com)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts