Impalas.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father n Law came over last Friday and I mentioned that the car was idling high. He made some adjustments to a couple of things. One I've since learned was the Idle stop solenoid. The other is I think the idle speed adjustment screw.

It idled lower after the adjustments and shut the car off thinking nothing of it. Went out Monday to start it and it won't start. It turns over but doesn't seem like it's getting gas. I think I found how to begin with the Idle speed adjustment screw where you tighten til it just touches the fast idle cam and then one full turn. I know it's a little more complicated then that and I'm trying to learn but I first need to learn what all the parts are because as I read things I'm struggling with what's what.

My question is I'm not able to find much on the Idle stop solenoid adjusting and how to go about that or even which way to turn.

I'll tap on the gas tank first though to make sure it's not empty and my gas gauge isn't broke.

Aside from this I'm not sure what else to do other then call him to see if he can fix it. I kinda wanted to try and see if maybe I could get it running on my own. It's really the only way I'm going to learn.

I good book on Carburetors is in order. Rochester with diagrams and really simple instructions to follow. If there is such a beast please let me know.

If I'm out of my league by attempting to mess with Carburetors and being a newbie then let me know that too.

So far the only thing recently I've done was the Valve cover gasket swap and will be doing my first oil change.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gas tank seemed to be on the hollow side after a little tapping. Put in 5 gallons and it started. Guess my gauge is stuck on half. I'll be reading the post about the person with the stuck gas gauge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts