Impalas.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting no ignition power on my starter solenoid. I can short out the solenoid and crank the starter so I know the starter and solenoid are good. I read on some past threads that I should try to hot wire the fuse box to see if I have an ignition switch problem. Can anyone provide more detail or a page in the service manual for how to do this?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am getting no ignition power on my starter solenoid. I can short out the solenoid and crank the starter so I know the starter and solenoid are good. I read on some past threads that I should try to hot wire the fuse box to see if I have an ignition switch problem. Can anyone provide more detail or a page in the service manual for how to do this?

Thanks,

Matt
Forgot to mention: 64 Impala, 327, Powerglide.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the ignition switch out and bench tested it and got 12 volts on the acc, ign and sol terminals as expected. Next thing I was going to try is to ring out the wires from the ignition switch plug solenoid wire to the wire connected to the solenoid unless anyone else has a better idea.

·
Super Moderator
3,485 Posts
The neutral safety switch is a good suggestion for sure. It's probably the 2nd most common issue after a bad solenoid. I'd guess a bad ignition switch to be 3rd most common.

Matt, it's great that you did the 'jumper test' between the solenoid and starter but I do not think this completely rules out the solenoid. Sure the starter is verified, but until you verify the 12v getting TO the solenoid (which is obviously what you're into now) I do not think the jumper test proves out the solenoid.
A helper would go a long way to checking that voltage when turning the key. At least the 'NSS' can be checked independantly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Place the shifter into Neutral, then see if it will crank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried that and no luck. I took the center console apart and tested both sides of the neutral safety switch and both had 12 volts when the ignition switch was turned all the way to the right. I put my meter on the S post of the starter solenoid and I get .48 volt when trying to start. I must have a short somewhere between the neutral safety switch and the starter. Time to start unraveling the harness from the solenoid wire unless anyone has a better suggestion. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you're trying to hotwire the car, run a wire from the hot side of the coil to the hot side of the battery (little advice, put a switch in it) If that doesn't work, make a push button switch to go between the battery post of the starter and the solenoid post (inside, purple wire). That's how I moved my 55 before I rewired the whole car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to tie up this issue. Everything electrical before the starter was checking out fine. I was getting 12 volts on the wire that connects to the solenoid. If I connected the wire to the solenoid, I was getting about 6 volts when trying to start. It seemed to me that something in the starter was drawing down the voltage. Given my limited knowledge, I replaced the starter and now the engine starts. Thank you to everyone that replied.

Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts