Impalas.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I have the following question.

I have a 64 Impala Sedan 4 doors with a V8 283 Low Compression engine.
The picture attached is from the engine VIN pad.
In order to decode my engine, I used this site https://impalas.org/drivetrain/#Engine
1 - The first digit is a letter that indicates the engine manufacturing plant.
2 - The following two digits are numbers that indicate the production month and the other two numbers that indicate the day of the month.
3 - Finally, the final digits tell the engine type.

Following this rule, I would expect my engine to be T0917CE.
T -> Tonawanda
09 -> September
17 -> 17th day of the month (Here is the doubt)
CE -> 283 Low Compression

The code portion which should correspond to the day of the month is formed by the letter I (See the picture attached.)
Why there is an "I" letter in my engine? Would this correspond to the number 1?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yes, the "I" equals the Number 1 indicating the Date of September 17th.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the "I" equals the Number 1 indicating the Date of September 17th.
Thanks!
Is there some documentation in which I can see this correspondence? This car is in Brazil and I am trying to make its documentation.
I have the importation documents dating from 1964 and in these documents, the engine number is T0917CE.
They just ignored the I in the engine and used 1 instead.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
No documentation that I know of. It's just common knowledge by us Chevy guys, although you may want to try to contact Chevrolet Customer Service.

By the way, in the meantime, I checked your Suffix Code "CE" which did not sound correct to me. Are you sure you have a '64 Engine there? It decoded to a '57 265 Engine. Let us have the Casting Numbers on the Block to verify it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is the table that I am using to decode the engine suffix.
Also, I am quite sure this is the 1964 283 Low Compression engine. The car was imported by the Minister of External affairs of the Hungarian Republic and I still have all the importation, tax and transportation documents dating from 1964.

The interesting fact is that in all these documents the engine is T0917CE but in the engine the number is T09I7CE.

How can I contact Chevrolet Customer Service? Do they have a phone number that I can verify the engine authenticity?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If your car was not US Made, then yes, you could be correct. Although interesting, I've never seen a chart like that above and never heard of a 283 with low compression. Non US Made cars can be different and I have very little experience with them. Even Canadian Made cars can be different.

I don't have the Customer Service Number handy, but years ago they would be very helpful. Try contacting a local dealer for their number if you cannot find it on an internet search.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found this number on Chevrolet website. I will try it tomorrow morning.

Vehicle help

Vehicle features, warranty, options and accessories.

USA: 1-800-222-1020
Monday–Saturday
8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (EST)
Closed Sunday

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My VIN number says that the car was assembled in Tarrytown - NY. I believe it was US Made. The cart was extracted from Drivetrain Decoding |
True as you have a "T" in your Code. Unless they made engines for non-US use, I would not know the answer.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I found this number on Chevrolet website. I will try it tomorrow morning.

Vehicle help

Vehicle features, warranty, options and accessories.

USA: 1-800-222-1020
Monday–Saturday
8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (EST)
Closed Sunday
Yes, I believe that is the correct number from years ago.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Tarrytown built export cars in 64 so it makes sense the car has a Low Compression engine suffix code. Would be interested to see pics of the vin and cowl tags. Don't see many of those! I only have a few Low Compression codes documented in my database

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tarrytown built export cars in 64 so it makes sense the car has a Low Compression engine suffix code. Would be interested to see pics of the vin and cowl tags. Don't see many of those! I only have a few Low Compression codes documented in my database
That is interesting. I have the importation document and it says that the cars was transported by the steam ship Mormactide. The car arrived in Brasil on 2/18/64.
I'm attaching a picture of the Cowl Tag and the car itself. I don't have in hands a picture of the VIN Number but the vin number is 41839T108336.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
They built 2,756 64 fullsize with the Low Compression 283 so not many. They built over 10,000 with the Low Compression 6cyl

1 - 18 of 18 Posts