Impalas.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lights on my cluster will not come on at all, I replaced the bulb that goes in the back of the cluster, also the ones in the bottom of the dash and the dome light and nothing comes on, what do I need to check for? This is on my 68

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive checked that little fuse and it shows to be good with a tester, the one Im looking at is the one at the very bottom of the fuse box

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts
Generally the Tail Light fuse controls the dash lights. Odds of seven bulbs blowing all at once are low, so we recommend checking your fuses first.

By the way just because the fuse is good doesn't mean you got power to the circuit. The conection Fuse box is madse of two parts( a male female thing) that works loose over time (or worse suffers from corrosion) and has to be taken apart and cleaned maybe once every thirty years. (this involves getting to it; so expect some fender parts to come off).

Big Dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked my fuses and there all good, took the fuse block apart and did some cleaning but still nothing, the taillights are working, so at this point I dont know what to do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 1968 Chevy Impala dash has a printed circuit board. A 18 gauge gray wire feeds all the dash lights I would check the ground straps that are tied to the printed circuit board. hope this helps. julian

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I checked the fuse box and the fuse shows to be good, then I went to the gray wire and I have nothing the bulb is new I also pushed it in the gauge cluster and nothing lights up, what ground strap are you exactly talking about julian59?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here's a picture of a 1968 Impala dash printed circuit board, the red arrows are ground tabs, where this board is screwed to the metal Instrument Cluster. The blue arrow (I THINK) is 12volts pos, Gray wire. The metal Instrument Cluster is screwed to a plastic dash that grounded via a thin metal strap. (see picture) There's a few things to check. Check the gray wire for 12 volts, also check that the printed circuit board tab at the connector isn't bent or broken off (blue arrow). Hope this helps

·
Registered
39 Posts
mike, AFTER READING THE ABOVE. I was looking at this schematic and I think it's wrong. The Instrument light wire(gray) connects no where but to the Heater light. It should go to the fuse box and then back to the Light switch (Dk/Green) wire. Just to test this. Apply 12V+ to the Heater light (gray)wire and see if it lights up your dash, If it does, Then there's no power coming from the head light switch. Just jump the Ing. Switch light (gray)wire to the Heater light (gray)wire. hope this helps. julian

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had this exact problem as well. SOLVED this way.... if your lower 4 indicator lamps work (e-brake, generator, ignition....) and the turn signal/ hazards light up, and the headlights operate (switch is good) then simply check circuit board for no broken film leads and ground the metal casing to good ground under car. Should light up all the instrument bulbs. If so, create your own ground strap as mentioned above. These clusters usually grounded through screws to dash body (see Julian's post above) and also had a small wire resembling a bent paper clip to make contact from cluster's casing to a metal point under dash's structure. Chances are it's missing, rusted, broken.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts