Impalas.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 impala 350 engine, all original. I am new to cars still. I am trying to replace the cable but am having problems pulling the hook out of the transmission underneath the car. Anyone have any suggestions to help me?

·
Super Moderator
13,079 Posts
Welcome to the team Jeremy!

This is where I have to ask are you referring to a three forward speed automatic TurboHydramatic 350 transmission (aka TH350), or do you have a four speed automatic transmission (three forward and overdrive) which uses a TV cable to control the line pressure. The reason I ask is one is critical to the life span of the transmission, and the other just a mater of pulling up on the valve and attaching the cable.

The TH350 has a spring controlled spool valve that is connected to the carburetor by means of cable that bolts to the tranny and is held with a bracket at the carb. You can use a small bent tweezer or bent needle nose pliers to fish out the ring on the top of the spool valve at the top of the oil pan and connect the cable. It is located on the passenger side of the trans just to the left of the 2 transmission cooler lines. You should bolt the cable to the tranny before connecting it, and then thread it up to the top of the motor. Pull gently on the cable to find the top of the spool and set the carb to match that point at WOT.

If you have a TV cable you need to go on line and watch a few YouTube videos firsts as if you get the adjustment wrong it can destroy the transmission.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,079 Posts
You can use a pick with hook, or needle nose pliers if you have the car on a rack. I use tweezers with a bent end that you can buy for a buck or so at the Dollar store.

Big Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks Dave. I was able to connect the cable to the hook. I decided to just take the transmission pan off cause i need to change the fluid anyways. Now my father was out there helping me. After we installed it the cable isn't moving easily like its supposed to he says. When pulled WOT its tough to pull and then when you let off it doesnt easily go back . It feels stuck sort of? Any ideas of what i am saying?

·
Super Moderator
13,079 Posts
There is a spring that pushes it down. If you yank to hard you can put that spring in coil bind. That is about the only thing that comes to mind.

Big Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts