Impalas.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year, My Fellow Impalagins!

I have a question regarding my '63 2spd. Powerglide Automatic Transmission. Does anyone happen to know how low, in terms of ounces or pints, the fluid would have to be to prevent the transmission from even engaging the engine when it is put in Drive? This is assuming that nothing else is amiss to cause such a condition and the engine is fully warmed up.

I would appreciate a well thought out reply on this.

Les

·
Super Moderator
13,134 Posts
You risk burning up your transmission as the clutch discs and bands are faced with paper that is burnt to a crisp if not immersed in oil.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,533 Posts
It takes slightly more than a full quart down to lose drive (or reverse) engagement on a PG. Speaking from personal experience with my (formerly) leaky 65 PG.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you gentlemen! FYI, Big Dave, I'm probably safe because as soon as I realized there was no engine/trans engagement I shut off the motor. The car never even rolled out of the garage.
As soon as weather permits, I'm towing her up to our local auto trans. repair shop for them to check her out and effect whatever repairs are needed.

·
Super Moderator
1,533 Posts
Don't waste your money on a tow, just fill it up. Get some showing on the stick, start it up, go through the gears, let it warm up, keep checking and top it up as it gets hot.

·
Super Moderator
13,134 Posts
Put a drip pan under the car when you park it again as the reason you are low on fluid is the seals have all dried out, and are no longer preventing fluid leaks. The old plastic seals used back in the early sixties required being constantly being immersed in tranny fluid to cause the seals to swell up. As the dry out they shrink and crack.

Newer seals don't have that issue.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happy New Year, My Fellow Impalagins!

I have a question regarding my '63 2spd. Powerglide Automatic Transmission. Does anyone happen to know how low, in terms of ounces or pints, the fluid would have to be to prevent the transmission from even engaging the engine when it is put in Drive? This is assuming that nothing else is amiss to cause such a condition and the engine is fully warmed up.

I would appreciate a well thought out reply on this.

Les
I’ve had mine not engage when it was only 2.5 quarts low.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts