Impalas.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've got two builds going on currently and so I'm trying to be as budget friendly on my Impala as possible, but I need a drivetrain. I have a 1999 Silverado with a 4.8 LS truck motor paired to a NV3500 5 speed just sitting around since I got my new truck last year . Not a very stout transmission, but the drive train moves my truck pretty good and so I figure it would be satisfactory for just a regular Sunday cruiser type car. And you cant beat the price.

The issue I see is that the NV3500 is 4x4 trans. Is there a way for me to remove the transfer case and run it as a RWD trans or am I better off abandoning this idea altogether. I know I could frankenstein it and leave the transfer case on but that is a less desirable option. Done some research but most of what I'm finding is unrelated to what I'm trying to figure out. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas

·
Premium Member
13,148 Posts
Transfer case un bolts but you are still gong to have to blow the tranny apart to change the out put shaft if nothing else and try and find a two wheel drive tail housing and an out put shaft to fit your car.

Better to sell the truck and plow the money into a 350 SBC crate motor and a TH350 or a 200R4 transmission. You are not going to be able to drop in an LS engine without a bucket of money to make it work.

Remember there is no real advantage to EFI the factory went to it to meet emissions requirements. A 350 with a carb will out perform a 4.8L engine and it drops in.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,601 Posts
Remember there is no real advantage to EFI the factory went to it to meet emissions requirements. A 350 with a carb will out perform a 4.8L engine and it drops in.

Just when I thought I'd read it all on here...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts