Impalas.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if the drums for metallic brakes, 65-66, were special material? Are the rear shoes still available in the aftermarket?

THX

·
Super Moderator
13,089 Posts
HD brakes from the factory got finned drums. But the cast iron material is the same as the standard drum without the added cooling fins. Shoes and drums are still available as a service part.
Big Dave

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I used pads and drums from
I seem to recall the drums that they sell drums that are cryogenically cooled, but I don't really see how you can affect the structure of something that is so far into it's solid phase as room temperature iron. Perhaps Big Dave's engineering background can enlighten us.

·
Super Moderator
13,089 Posts
Cryogenic cooling shrinks the grains in the metal making it stronger (great for an axle or a transmission input shaft), but I can not see any real advantage to extending wear in terms of a brake drum. To make a better drum they should cast them out of steel not grey cast iron. That way you could weld the interior of the drum with Chromium, Molybdenum, Manganese or Vanadium to change the hardness and wear characteristics of a drum. But then again if they ever did this no one would ever buy another brake drum as the old ones could be rebuilt rather than turned into Isuzus or Kias.

Big Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cryo treatment greatly enhances the wear capabilty of steel. Its used in Formula One and the high tech racing levels but these guys try to keep their "improvements" to themselves.
Also used a lot in the firearm industry to reduce barrel wear...

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you swap the entire backing plate and brake assembly over you could make it happen but just using those drums won't work I don't think.But FWIW try it, what the hell ? it might work.
BUT for the trouble it may cause you'd probably be better off with converting to disc brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts