Impalas.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
I ran a MSD Digital 6AL Ignition Control unit (part number 6425) with a MSD HVC Ignition Coil part number 8252 in my '89 Caprice with a 406 small block for years. I went to the MSD as the original digital ignition box I bough from Malory (Crane Fireball ignition box) never worked correctly. Had the MSD unit mounted on the top of the radiator core support behind the grill so it stayed dry and cool.

I ran a MSD 7AL-3 ignition box (part number 7330) in my '85 Impala with a MSD Blaster MSD Pro Power HVC Coils 8251, firing a high compression 582 BBC. Never had a lick of problems other than melting a few plug wires (MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire), and that ignition box is over twenty years old.

Both of those cars were crushed and the motor and tranny pulled over seven years ago and I ran them for about ten years before that so I can not address reliability of new products (I just today discovered that MSD belongs to Holley now). When I bought them they were made in Texas by the same company that perfected a CD ignition boxes to work with Smog era cars (lean burn).

Big Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im running an msd 6a with my 64 283. I love it. I also use a pertronix lobe kit in my distributor with a pertronix coil. The pros with it are 1. A hotter spark so u can open up the spark plug gaps to 50. 2 Start up is quick an crisp. 3. Fuel gets burnt up better. 4. Has a seperate wire for tach hook up. 5. if. U get the right one u can have a built in rev limiter or timing retard. 6. The higher rpm range your spark is more stable. The cons are as follow 1. You have to use specific spark plug wires. 2. Its another electrical unit that can leave u stranded. 3. You should upgrade your coil.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Im running an msd 6a with my 64 283. I love it. I also use a pertronix lobe kit in my distributor with a pertronix coil. The pros with it are 1. A hotter spark so u can open up the spark plug gaps to 50. 2 Start up is quick an crisp. 3. Fuel gets burnt up better. 4. Has a seperate wire for tach hook up. 5. if. U get the right one u can have a built in rev limiter or timing retard. 6. The higher rpm range your spark is more stable. The cons are as follow 1. You have to use specific spark plug wires. 2. Its another electrical unit that can leave u stranded. 3. You should upgrade your coil.

I disagree with plug gap greater than .045". Somewhere between .035" and .040" is often ideal.

Here's a good explanation of why:

What should I gap my spark plugs at?

Just trying to be helpful.

Pete

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What distributor are you using... I currently have. Mallory coil in cap... not sure how I like that. My 86 Camaro had a remote coil... opinions on coil in cap or remote coil?

·
Registered
432 Posts
What distributor are you using... I currently have. Mallory coil in cap... not sure how I like that. My 86 Camaro had a remote coil... opinions on coil in cap or remote coil?

I'm running an MSD 8360 (the oem size 4 1/2" dia cap) with a separate, black, oil filled Petronix flamer thrower II coil.

I did not have a choice. The large (5 1/2" dia) cap would not have fit my 63 Impala (firewall interference). But, if I had a choice, I would have chose the separate oil (cooling medium) filled coil over the epoxy. Once the separate coil is selected, the small cap goes with it.

The coil-in-cap (large) is cooled w/epoxy (as are some separate coils). I stay away from them.

My sbc is a '383' stroker, but I would use the same ignition on a stock 283 (or any sbc).

Pete

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im using a stock 64 distributor with a stock cap. With an external pertronix flame thrower 2 coil. Pertronix wires that are made to look like stock.

·
Registered
63 imp. 283. PG. 321 rear
10 Posts
Has anyone run a MSD ignition on there rides? Was it worth it? Anyone run it on a 283?
I have an AGI electronic for my 283 four barrel. To make the large caP. fit we had to recess the firewall a full inch so it would fit. It’s a perfect ignition it even has an electric lead connected to my It’s a perfect ignition it even has an electric lead connected to my RPM gauge. The two electric attachments are only separated by a quarter of an inch and possible problem is arcing rough idle , so make sure you tape it up and it separate them. 2 connections at the.cap. Mine no ignition coil needed of course it has the electronica module which works fine but I have no clue where to find another new one. 🇺🇸

·
Registered
63 imp. 283. PG. 321 rear
10 Posts
I have an AGI electronic for my 283 four barrel. To make the large caP. fit we had to recess the firewall a full inch so it would fit. It’s a perfect ignition it even has an electric lead connected to my It’s a perfect ignition it even has an electric lead connected to my RPM gauge. The two electric attachments are only separated by a quarter of an inch and possible problem is arcing rough idle , so make sure you tape it up and it separate them. 2 connections at the.cap. Mine no ignition coil needed of course it has the electronica module which works fine but I have no clue where to find another new one. 🇺🇸
Not AGI, I mean. HEI. dist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts