Impalas.net banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I ordered headers from Summit but the shop said they couldn't make 'em fit ... they had these. So I returned the headers which were "called-for" in the book ...

but now looking at these headers, running the exhaust pipe is gonna be a real challenge because the collectors run aft.

Who has installed headers on a SBC and our X-Frame? What'd you get/have a reference?

THanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Engine looks great man!

You block-sanding while standing on your head? Looks challenging.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I just realized that photo is inverted! LOL .... now I know what you mean!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
FINALLY ... a set of headers. Doug's.

After discussion with the certified tech, I think the first set (Hookers) full length probably would have worked, but needed to "attack" from below. IOW, put her on the lift. The Sanders block huggers were fine, except they interfered with the spark plug install/remove. IDK why, but they did. So ... here's full length Doug's for a 61 Impala.

They fit. Have yet to run the engine though.

December '19 is a bit optimistic. Now hoping for March '20.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Well, the Doug's didn't work out either ... the output was too far forward. So returned to block huggers. Turns out the BPE heads have the exhaust port higher and the plug hole lower than standard, so had to get smaller spark plugs (so to speak)

But here is a few pix from today ... incl blue dot tail lights (gotta clean the original bezels though and add the ring trim) getting closer!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,083 Posts
Angle plug heads also cause installation issues and burnt plug wires with headers. They are not worth the one possibly two horsepower difference in engine performance.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
the plug boots are ceramic.

I didn't even know those existed ... and the loom should keep the wires off/away from the headers which is a concern for any wire installation, header or manifold I'd expect. headers are ceramic coated, so they shouldn't be as hot on the outside either.

I'll report back next year, how about that?

Thx Big Dave.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #94

Attachments

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #95

·
Registered
968 Posts
What Window Channel do you need?

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
What Window Channel do you need?
rear door window channel, I think. I'll talk with the shop tomorrow and get the status, but no rear door window channel is why Polly went to the interior shop w/o rear windows. 4 door sedan.

Thanks for asking!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Cragar's look great.

That's the way I like them.

Reactions: shaark92

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
my interior shop guys should be back from their gulf coast fishing trip. Hoping to get a call at the end of the week that ... "she's ready" ... which will be a return to the Restoration Shop for "make ready" ... still have some moldings to install ... the rear door windows ... the new wheel/tire assemblies. But we are CLOSE!

Two years' running now, this week.

Paying insurance on a car I can't yet drive on the road!

81 - 100 of 115 Posts