Impalas.net banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,083 Posts
It is called insurance for a reason. Even though he isn't driving it yet it still needs theft and fire protection as well as collision. With a classic car that isn't driven much even when finished theft and fire are the greatest risks.

Big Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pollys taking me back to my big brothers 61ss build 40 yrs ago but he got to master keeping his 348 from breaking .Good Times keep going 👍

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is called insurance for a reason. Even though he isn't driving it yet it still needs theft and fire protection as well as collision. With a classic car that isn't driven much even when finished theft and fire are the greatest risks.

Big Dave
it's not the issue of not being driven yet, it's the issue of it's been in pieces, literally undriveable for the last 1-2 yrs. what kind of auto policy is that? I myself currently have a vehicle not being driven and is in 'storage' mode, but it only has liability and no loss. With notification, I can drive it with legal coverage the next day. I've never heard of an auto policy that will cover loss of a vehicle that has been in pieces.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
The resto shop is bonded ... but when it left the shop, insurance was on me. So I insured it.

My bellyachin is due as much to the increased delay of “DONE” as anything else.

The car is not “in pieces,” it moves under its own power, and I only had it insured when it left for the interior shop last month.

Comprehensive insurance is what it’s called. Like the level required when a loan is made to purchase a vehicle.

It’ll get done ... hopefully before the next lockdown. Smh (sorry to add a twinge there, but it is literally affecting even how we breathe.)

Most recently It affected the acquisition of Polly’s shoes ... wrong lug nuts and missed two of the cragar caps.

We now have THEM. Just need the car from the interior shop to do the final.

Thanks for the posts. Will post more pix as soon as I can.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Venting alert:

Friday I learned that the interior shop who's had my Polly since 15 June ... STILL has not touched the car.

It's not like this outfit has acres of space or a shop to hold dozens of work-order vehicles.

3 weeks ago, when I was told this over the phone, I considered (seriously) taking my car elsewhere but I was advised by the restoration shop (that doesn't have an interior/upholstery section) to leave it as "it's taking space in his small shop, he'll have to "get to it."

I arrived at the shop unannounced to the small lot ... not only were the parking spaces full (typical) ... the two-lane drive up to the shop was full of "seat-cover" jobs. So much for the "leave it in his way" tactic.

I knew I had one full interior ahead of me (but in alleged progress) when I left Polly at his shop 2 months ago ... it's still in front of me.

I'm trying really hard to keep a "constant level" on this. I don't wish ill to anyone but here's the thing ... I have NEVER had a phone call/email/text/smoke signal sent from this fellow since I first met him. After he took my 4 digit deposit back in March ... I became a customer, not just a looker/wisher. A respectable fellow would try a little harder to keep his customer informed, yes?

Deposit paid, to purchase the materials so he has ZERO risk on that. 2 months later (stink virus RESPONSE delayed final assembly parts arrival/hence delay getting TO this interior shop in April) when he rejected the car in May because it wasn't "complete" ... I finally learned some of the material was discontinued. Why wasn't I called within a couple of days when he learned of the discontinued material? He had my name/number ... and money. Bad communication with me. Bad communication with the restoration shop on the expected status of the car upon arrival.

a 4 week job (according to him), left with him mid June. He advised they'd be taking vacation in Mid July. OK ... I think ... I'll drive the completed car to have pix taken with you and your crew as you finish vacation! ???

Then the aforementioned post about my phone call: "haven't touched your car" ... uh ... you couldn't have advised of this BEFORE you went on vacation two weeks ago?

The guy does good work. It's all over his office wall, the photos of the interiors he's done. I even understand delays happen, especially these days. I've had things "come up" to delay progress on the restoration. But good grief ... what's wrong with your telephone? Mine rings ... and it accepts voice messages, too.

I'm hoping there'll be some consideration for this deal which should have been completed no later than last week (allowing for overage in the estimated time to complete and the vacation; I'm not begrudging anyone time to unwind) If no consideration for having my 4 digit deposit six months before job completion on a 4 week job ... I'll ID the shop. If I do, well, I'll focus on the craftsmanship and design.

I was told on Friday ... when I expected to see marked progress, even near completion ... it'd be two weeks before they started ... "October" to complete. I didn't ask if that was Halloween ... or 1 Oct.

Thanks for letting me vent. I've tried real hard to keep from going sideways with folks because I understand this is not my "go to work car" so it's not adversely affecting me there ... and people drop the ball. Grace. However ... there's also accountability ... to maintain integrity. If ya knew you wouldn't be working on my car before you went on vacation, why'd you accept the car? If ya knew you couldn't get the selected materials, why did it take 6 weeks to inform the customer?

Again ... I'm paying insurance on a car I cannot drive, and it appears I will still be "cannot drive" at least 4 months after I "took-out" the policy. Polly could have sat at the restoration shop under the resto shop's insurance.

Like sands through the hour glass .... these are the days of our lives

sigh.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
Went to see Polly on Friday. shop owner told me ... "another two weeks"

SMH.

But I have seen the materials and the seat being completed on the car ahead of me ... so hopefully 2 weeks was an inflated estimate on the start time.

As noted above, I've seen this before. Just want a little bit of communication.

Evidently there's a hangup about the need to remove the door panels to finish the assembly of the vehicle ... rear door window channel/window et al ... and side moldings ... which weren't available in June when he accepted the car. Had we known the job wasn't going to start before September, we could have BROUGHT him a completed car ready for a full interior. That requires communication.

IDK why we can't just install the insulation/carpet, kickpanels, headliner, package tray, seats ... built the door panels, wrap 'em and place them in the trunk or the back seat? I can install the door panels, I'm quite sure my restoration shop can, too.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Wow ... step outside for a couple months and the world changes! LOL

Hope y'all are well.

There's finally been a change on my car status. Polly is going to be moved tomorrow to another interior shop.

I learned on Friday the job had STILL yet to be started. So we're going to go elsewhere. No dirt kicking nor boot licking ... just return my 30% deposit and I'll be on my way.

Onward through the fog.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Oh ... and I'm on my 2nd interior shop. 19 Oct I fetched Polly from the first shop where she sat for 4 months no work. Needed a new battery. sigh.

Anyhow. Resto shop is tweeking a few things, and getting it 100% done ... will goto the next shop on Veterans Day.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
The work on Polly continues. But I've run across a part I need, but I don't know what it's called, or where to get it ...

a quarter trim panel? This thing is between the rear seatback and the side ... between the rear door and the rear wheel well. Need the metal cap for the right side. These picts are of the left side.

Any help is appreciated.

ED: found it. we march onward!

101 - 115 of 115 Posts