Impalas.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My big 63 4 door is squatting more than I'm comfortable with. Do the rear springs typically relax more than the front over the years?
I just want the car level when there are 4+ passengers in the car.
Spacers? New springs? Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
13,048 Posts
Air shocks will work for this application, if you are trying to compensate for the added weight and not correct the sag that is natural for old springs. If you want it to sit level all the time you will need to replace the springs or install spring jacks (used by roundy-round cars to tune their suspension to match a banked track).

Big Dave

·
Registered
405 Posts
New rear springs are not that expensive and really not hard to install. What gets expensive is doing all the other work that comes to mind while your at it! If you really want rear wheel support you can always install station wagon springs.

Or just tell your buddy he needs to find a smaller date.

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
Agree that those springs sound worn out or could have even been shortened long ago by a previous customer.
Either way, I'd opt for new springs as they are only $100-$150 or so and they are pretty easy to install in just a few hours of work on jackstands.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. I doubt it was lowered, at least intentionally.
My aunt's dad was the original owner and he was a farmer. Knowing him, he probably carried plows or something in the trunk. I get a chuckle thinking about it.
Where is a good place to look for rear could? Would wagon springs raise it a lot?

·
Registered
420 Posts
My big 63 4 door is squatting more than I'm comfortable with. Do the rear springs typically relax more than the front over the years?
I just want the car level when there are 4+ passengers in the car.
Spacers? New springs? Ideas?
Recommend replacing springs and shocks while its apart. Air shocks will give some loading flexibility. The wagon springs WILL raise the back up a few inches (from where it should be). I did the wagon springs on my '63 because I wanted the back end up. If you want a stock look, don't use the wagon springs.

No need to use air shocks w/wagon springs.

Attached is a pic of my '63 w/wagon springs. It sit exactly as I like it.

Pete

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,048 Posts
Except I can't seem to find any air shocks online. Where did you get yours?
Just checked catalog for Gabriel Hi-Jackers and you are correct. They do not make one for 1959-'64 Full size Chevy cars any more.

You would have to search for a NOS part sitting on an auto parts store, the way early restorers of these cars did for other NOS GM car parts once Chevy stopped making them.

OR... you can install air bags inside the coil springs you have now and air them up individually to level the car with a passengers in the back.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60713/

Big Dave

·
Registered
405 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts