Impalas.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my '64 last November the hood would stay open on it's own. It was a little squeaky so I sprayed the hood hinges with lubricant and it stopped staying open. I thought the springs might have been tired so I purchased new ones off Paddock and replaced only to find them softer and making my hood heaver to open and still won't stay open on its own. I have replaced the original springs since then but it still won't stay open on its own.

Any suggestions on how to fix? I hate to have to use a broom stick at shows.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not to sound like a wise guy, but there are two different springs you can get. Ones for steel hoods and ones for fiberglass hoods. The 'glass hood springs are noticeably smaller in diameter. Is there a chance you got those springs?

Other than that, I think this is the ONLY time in three decades I heard of sprung hood hinges not doing their job. It's usually the opposite problem, people bending their hood in half trying to close a stuck hinge. Maybe a trip to the salvage yard could help. Just replace the whole assembly on both sides.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure I didn't order the fiberglass springs for my hood. I ordered the reproduction springs off Paddock and compared them to the originals which are longer and thicker. I have since then returned the repro springs and ordered the more expensive GM springs from Paddock, hopefully this will fix the prob. if not I'll be forced to stay with the old broom stick.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
The GM springs worked!
Not surprised many reproduction parts are less than stellar in quality. It isn't the vendors fault as they have to compete and most end users are much more concerened about the cost than the quality which is always in a lowering spiral as people source cheaper and cheaper parts (I won't say where thay are made and leave it at that).

Big Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hood not staying open

I just purchased hood hinges and springs and my hood will stay open but not right after i open it and even then its not very secure. I have purchased GM springs

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
Welcome to the Team Alberto!

Springs sag with age and they spend 99.9999% of their life stretched out with the hood down so it isn't surprising they get tired after a while.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
kind of a funny thread for me because my hood on my 66 stopped staying "up" on it's own immediately after I sprayed white grease on both hinges....every pivoting point was sprayed.

Here I was trying to resolve the stiff hood opening, and now I got a hood that doesn't stay open any more. :) Sounds like your issue was definitely different.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
Alan a new set of springs will have it standing at attention. Matter of fact as well lubed as it is it might hit you in the face as it popped open.

Big Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts