Impalas.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone my name is Brett, and I live in northern Maine. I guess this is technically my second Impala as I had an 83 back in high-school.

Normally I'm a Nova guy (I've built two), but I got offered a good deal on this 67 ($3K) so I jumped on it!

The frame is pretty bad in spots, but it's been patched up safe enough to drive for now, and I have a spare frame I'll clean up. It's numbers matching 327/powerglide with 80,000 original miles. The original color is medeira maroon, and I'll be spraying it that color once I restore the car.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Besides the 327, I see that you have at least 2 options, running lights and bumper guards.

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site.

Besides the 327, I see that you have at least 2 options, running lights and bumper guards.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Thank you, and I absolutely will update this as I make progress. One thing that's pretty neat is I found the chassis broadcast sheet in the glove box. I don't know what most of the rpo codes mean, I tried to look them up, but didn't have much luck.

Handwriting Gesture Font Writing Paper

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome!! Cool car! Great you found the broadcast sheet. The second line shows the RPOs (Regular Production Options) the came on the car. I'll start there and others can chime in.
J50 - Power Brakes
L30 - 275 hp Turbo-Fire 327 engine
M35 - Powerglide Automatic Transmission
N40 - Power Steering
P01 - Bright Metal Wheel Covers
P77 - 8.25-14 White Wall Tires
T78 - Front Fender Lights
U63 - Push Button Control AM Radio
V31 - Front Bumper Guard
V32 - Rear Bumper Guard

Reactions: 62BillT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome!! Cool car! Great you found the broadcast sheet. The second line shows the RPOs (Regular Production Options) the came on the car. I'll start there and others can chime in.
J50 - Power Brakes
L30 - 275 hp Turbo-Fire 327 engine
M35 - Powerglide Automatic Transmission
N40 - Power Steering
P01 - Bright Metal Wheel Covers
P77 - 8.25-14 White Wall Tires
T78 - Front Fender Lights
U63 - Push Button Control AM Radio
V31 - Front Bumper Guard
V32 - Rear Bumper Guard
That's awesome, thank you for the info!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the first time was 75-76 at Loring AFB, second time was 91-92 at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. I'd love to move back but it'll probably never happen
It's too bad they shut Loring down. Most locals still don't understand why they did. This was a hopping place back when it was open. Now it's run down, and sadly drugs have taken over. You can't go to town without seeing someone under the influence. Small world though!

·
Registered
263 Posts
yeah, I remember going to Presque Isle for McDonalds as that was the closest, 30 miles away. or to the basement of the local dept store in Caribou where you could order from the Sears/JCPenney catalog

I was in the Navy while in Kittery.

do you still have the dealer logo on your trunk lid? mine came from Ed & Frank in Biddeford

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
74 Posts
Please tell me someone Photoshopped your car inside a fire station or something, that space is bigger than my whole house.
Right? I thought my 2 car garage was generously sized since I can park the Traverse and Pilot next to each other no problem but that puts even my dad's 60x100 barn to shame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, I remember going to Presque Isle for McDonalds as that was the closest, 30 miles away. or to the basement of the local dept store in Caribou where you could order from the Sears/JCPenney catalog

I was in the Navy while in Kittery.

do you still have the dealer logo on your trunk lid? mine came from Ed & Frank in Biddeford
Unfortunately the car has been repainted so the dealer sticker is gone.. and I think you're talking about sleepers.. you can go in the basement to buy shoes/clothes now!

Please tell me someone Photoshopped your car inside a fire station or something, that space is bigger than my whole house.
Right? I thought my 2 car garage was generously sized since I can park the Traverse and Pilot next to each other no problem but that puts even my dad's 60x100 barn to shame.
That is my buddies shop where I put the tires on 😆 it's his shop for working on heavy trucks. I work out of a single bay garage with an uneven concrete floor.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If the springs are good & non refundable i'd leave them in. Your rear ride height looks good to me, but I think the front could be lower. If I had to guess i'd say there's a 255/60/15 in the back, if you go to a 275 it will fill the wheel well better & being a taller tire it will also raise the rear.

Have a look Here it gets off the hoist about halfway through. Looks like he's got drop spindles on the front too or shortened springs.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Height is a matter of preference. I would be raising the back up a bit myself.

I actually once had a '67 2-Dr HT with a Small Block to boot. Back then you could still get springs from Chevrolet. I put 396 Springs in the Front and went the cheap route for the Rear. I put in rubber blocks, but would have preferred Wagon Springs.

Keep us posted on it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So if anyone is looking to raise the rear of their car don't buy lesjofor cargo springs off rock auto.. they didn't raise the car at all that I can tell. Next I guess I'll try a pair of wagon springs.

View attachment 30771
View attachment 30770
Looks awesome! Glad you found the build sheet. I wish I had one in my 67. I’ll never know which engine it came with for sure.

I also prefer a little more level ride height. Mine has air shocks and they have about 3” of adjustment. You can buy a new set pretty inexpensive.

mig and I put some 2” drop spindles up front. It looks great now I think.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Height is a matter of preference.
Yeah I know & it varies widely, but to my eye if it's more level it makes the back of the car kinda look heavy. I like a little bit of angle, more like the Nascar's of the 60's, that's where the fastback was developed from for aerodynamics too wasn't it? . Anyway more like this for me...

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I might actually leave the back how it sits, and just cut one coil out of the front. Since I put the rally wheels on it stopped scraping the hacked exhaust so that's good.

Today I took a look at the rear end under my spare frame. I did some research, turns out it's a 12 bolt posi with 3.07 gears which is perfect!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

Water Wood Grass Tints and shades Plant

Terrestrial plant Grass Close-up Wood Fashion accessory

1 - 20 of 20 Posts