Impalas.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am a new comer to the forum. I have a 1964 4 door impala. The vin has 13 character. The first number is a one the next two numbers 64. Can not find any information on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,083 Posts
Welcome to the Team!

1 is Chevrolet Motor Division of GM
64 is the last two digits of the production year (1954, 1964, 1974, etc.)

Big Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave. Why do I have 13 numbers for my vin. Also all other impala's I see fuel cap is on the left side my is behind the license plate. My radio antenna is on the front right side.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yeah, it's a '65 alright.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I got to thinking about this vin issue a little more and started to wonder if this could have been a test mule. Auto manufacturers even in the 60's would build a couple next year models early in the prior year to test. These cars were generally not assembly line built though. These cars would require a VIN to be licensed on the road and since it was still the 1964 model year that the car was actually built it may have gotten a 1964 VIN.

·
Super Moderator
13,083 Posts
All test mules were built with a VIN that designated them as test vehicles and they were all crushed after testing; not sold. They were not driven to test sights (different tests had different tracks located all over the country) but the cars shipped there under a car cover to keep the car mag reporters from finding anything out prior to the release at the Detroit autorama.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Well, that might mean somebody has tampered with the VIN tag on your 65. Perhaps somebody grabbed a VIN tag from a 64 to get around the 65 having a missing or otherwise sketchy VIN. I would find out more before investing any money into that car. You could have the police show up and impound it as a stolen vehicle after you have spent countless hours and $$$$$ on it. Leaving you with a hole in your wallet and no car to show for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello I am a new comer to the forum. I have a 1964 4 door impala. The vin has 13 character. The first number is a one the next two numbers 64. Can not find any information on it.
OK, we went right off the rails after the first post. 1964 had a 12 character VIN. 1965, which you have, has a 13 character VIN - as you clearly stated. Please check here - 1965 Chevy VIN Decoder! 348-409.com

We CLEARLY did not give you a very warm welcome! Hope you enjoy your new ride!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts