Impalas.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a 4L80e in my '67 coupe and use the original column shifter. Everything works great except the reverse lights come on in Neutral and the car can only be started in Park because the Neutral Safety Switch was intended for a 3-speed and now the detent positions don't align with the reverse and neutral positions on the switch. Does anyone know of a late-model application (late model being 80s or early 90s....) that used an OD trans (2004r, 700R4, 4L60/65e, 4L80/85e)that would bolt on to the '67 column? Ideally, it would use the same harness connector, but I can swap that out to the correct connector for the new switch. All suggestions are appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
I think the company "Shiftworks" will have what you need to make it a super clean looking factory-like installation.

Another shot might be to call Bowler or Monster Transmissions. I know that Bowler had what I needed recently and I was a little surprised to see how they had a lot of ancillary parts aside from the tranny itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, BA. The Shiftworks guys are great. I have their shift linkage kit and the PRNDL indicator that mounts to the column (I also used the kit you called out in my Nova--works great!). However, this doesn't solve the problem. The Neutral Safety Switch is mounted to the column and gets actuated when you move the shift lever (column) from P to R to N to D4..... It's designed for the original 3 speed. Since there is an extra position now (D4 or overdrive), that means the switch doesn't end up in the reverse position when the trans is in Reverse. Or in neutral when the trans is in Neutral. I need a NSS that is designed for a 4-speed OD automatic but I can't find one that will mount to the OEM column--units for cars from the 80's have different mounting hardware. Shiftworks didn't have a solution when I called them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts