Impalas.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just checking in. Hoping to gain some insight over here. This will be my first time working on an early Impala ('65) that my daughter recently aquired.
We'll be removing the 327 and replacing it with a 427.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Don't throw away that 327, lol. It's a great engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,518 Posts
Welcome to the site...it's got to be a good experience to be able to do that with your daughter.

If I recall correctly, there have been MANY discussions on Facebook Impala groups and some here at this site regarding the proper OIL PAN to use on the big-block in an Impala so that it does not interfere with steering linkage. I'm positive that the correct part number/source of oil pan that works is identified in multiple threads here and on FB, but you'll probably have to do a search and read a few threads to find it. (sorry, but I have a small block and didn't save that oil-pan part number)

·
Super Moderator
3,518 Posts
I did the search for you just looking for key-words like: oilpan clearance

Check out this thread. The brand name of PIONEER is the brand I keep seeing brought up for an aftermarket/non-GM pan that works in the Impala.

There are literally a dozen FB groups that you can find just by searching on Impala. Some are specific to 65, some only 66, others "tech only", and some from 58-72 and they can have way too much 'white noise' posts. Take your pick - I like this one started by a guy from our own website.
1965 - 1966 Midwest Impala Cars and Parts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I was hoping to use an original GM passenger car oil pan that I've had for several years on a shelf.
I honestly never dreamed the oil pan would be an issue. I figured on headers/clearance issues and possibly the taller intake might have limitations with a stock hood.
Appreciate your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts