Impalas.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
Recently I inherited my Father in Laws 1965 Impala.
He owned the car for over 20 years,drove it for quite a while,then about 5 years ago took the bumpers off and the interior out,started gathering some parts in hopes of restoring the car.
He developed some health problems and had to leave the car sit for a few years.
I have the car now,I can't afford to finish his dream as far as total restoration. I already own a 1971 Cutlass S. In my past I've had a 73 Chevelle, 78 stepside,75,76 and 89 Camaros,75 Nova,89 Caprice 9C1.
My plans are to get the car put back together,hopefully with help from the younger members of our Family,get them interested,teach them how to drive a 3 on the tree,then hopefully one day some of them may take an interest in giving their Grandpas car the restoration it deserves. I really want "the Chevy" to stay in the Family. My Father in law always referred to this car as "the Chevy".
Some research has told me the car is an early 65 being a little over 60,000 off the assembly line at Wilmington,DE. The 283 has a build date of Feb 10th from Tonawanda,NY.
It's a 283 three speed manual,no air,manual brakes and steering car. Haven't researched the official color name yet but there are signs the car was originally red with a black interior.
The Chevy does have some rust here and there but it's no where near being a parts car status.Well,I guess this would be debatable depending on who your talking to. With me it will be a labor of love.
My plans are to give the car fresh fluids,hoses,belt,tune up,tires,freshen the rattle can primer paint job,new weather stripping, then drive and enjoy the car for what it is,along with Family members.
I think I have everything I need to put the car back together except the bumpers,brackets and front valance,don't know what happened to these parts.
I'm hoping some here can answer a question I have about wheels and tires so I don't end up starting yet another thread on this board..."what size tires and wheels"?
I've been researching and reading a lot,the car has what I think are AZ 15x8 corvette rally wheels that should have 4 inch backspace. I would like to keep these as he had these on the car.
My question is will these wheels work without rubbing if I use 275/60/15 in the back and 235 or 245/60/15 up front?
Looking forward to reading more here and asking for info when it's needed.
thank you,
Walter
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Welcome to the site. Car looks pretty solid. Like the 3-Speed on the Column part.

Not real sure about the tire sizes specifically, but hopefully someone will jump in who has run something close enough to tell.

Reactions: triple20

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site. Car looks pretty solid. Like the 3-Speed on the Column part.

Not real sure about the tire sizes specifically, but hopefully someone will jump in who has run something close enough to tell.
Thank you! I feel it is pretty solid also.
That 3 speed column shift is going to bring back memories,had 2 other Chevy's with that set up.
Had to rent a trailer to get it home to my place,2 hours away. That pic was taken at my Father in Laws place.
Now I need to get tires on it and find some bumpers and all the other brackets and such.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
look for the stamp on the rim near the valve stem. if the stamp is 'A Z' then they are 15x8
Thank you!
These are stamped AZ.
I've read the AZ wheels should be 4 inch backspace.
With tires installed it's hard to get an accurate measurement,I'll get these junk tires removed and measure for myself.
I'm curious about the tire size with larger tires,the tires that are on the wheels now are 225/70/15,they are to narrow for 8 inch wheels from what I've read.
Not sure how it will affect fit if I go with shorter,wider tires.

·
Super Moderator
3,738 Posts
I think I had 275/60/15's (EDITED TO CORRECT SIDEWALL REF.) on the rear of this Impala I had for a bit and sold after a year or so. I can't recall what I put on the front, certainly a 235 as a minimum. Never rubbed though.
Looking back at these pictures, thats some BEEF in those wheelwells! lol. Maybe a little too much.
I used a 275/50/17 on my current black one. (same car as shown in background of one of the pics below)

·
Premium Member
1965 Impala SS 396 Convertible
63 Posts
Car looks great. Keep us posted on the progress! I've got 15 x8 rally wheels on the rear of my '65 They fit/clear just fine with 225/70/15 The fronts are 15 x7, and the 225s were awful close to the corner of the front fender, so I switched out to 215s to get a 1/4" more clearance. Functionally probably no diff, but that 1/4" makes me feel a little better. There is a great tire size estimator online here: Tire Size Calculator if you need actual measurements.
If it is factory red, probably Code RR Regal Red, as that was pretty common. Chevy also had a '65 UU code for "Rally Red" but I think that is a Corvette color.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I had 275/50/15's on the rear of this Impala I had for a bit and sold after a year or so. I can't recall what I put on the front, certainly a 235 as a minimum. Never rubbed though.
Looking back at these pictures, thats some BEEF in those wheelwells! lol. Maybe a little too much.
I used a 275/50/17 on my current black one. (same car as shown in background of one of the pics below)

Thanks for the info
Yes,you had those wheelwells filled up on that gold 65.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car looks great. Keep us posted on the progress! I've got 15 x8 rally wheels on the rear of my '65 They fit/clear just fine with 225/70/15 The fronts are 15 x7, and the 225s were awful close to the corner of the front fender, so I switched out to 215s to get a 1/4" more clearance. Functionally probably no diff, but that 1/4" makes me feel a little better. There is a great tire size estimator online here: Tire Size Calculator if you need actual measurements.
If it is factory red, probably Code RR Regal Red, as that was pretty common. They also have a '65 UU code for "Rally Red" but I think that is a Corvette color.
I will keep the board updated on my progress. Will be slower throughout the winter though. Did find the bumpers and brackets I need,have to go pick them up next week. Gonna be a road trip involved.
Thanks for the info and link.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts