Impalas.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just picked up a 1966 Impala SS the other day with the intent of restoring it. I'm new to old Chevys and Impalas, but I own a 60s Mustang so not new to the work required to restore old cars. This Impala is relatively straight and rust free with a couple rust through spots on the driver side fender, both quarter panels and the trunk lid. The floor boards and the trunk floor are the worst with both of those likely needing to be cut out and replaced.

The car is a rolling chassis and originally was a 3 on the tree. I'll likely install a six speed manual but still weighing options for the engine, which is between a big block chevy or a LS.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of the restoration and what I learn along the way.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Welcome to the site.

·
Super Moderator
3,546 Posts
Welcome to the site, we'd love to see your project when you have time to post pics. (heck, thrown in pics of the Mustang too! lol) (my first car was a 69 fastback rust-bucket - aka the Rustang)

So are you a fan of JDM cars too, or are those just coincidental initials for a guy with 2 classic cars? :-D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi all, I just picked up a 1966 Impala SS the other day with the intent of restoring it. I'm new to old Chevys and Impalas, but I own a 60s Mustang so not new to the work required to restore old cars. This Impala is relatively straight and rust free with a couple rust through spots on the driver side fender, both quarter panels and the trunk lid. The floor boards and the trunk floor are the worst with both of those likely needing to be cut out and replaced.

The car is a rolling chassis and originally was a 3 on the tree. I'll likely install a six speed manual but still weighing options for the engine, which is between a big block chevy or a LS.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of the restoration and what I learn along the way.
is that a 2dr, 4dr, convertible? the rust you mentioned is pretty standard for those cars. are you going to be restoring to original or just make sure it looks nice?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the site, we'd love to see your project when you have time to post pics. (heck, thrown in pics of the Mustang too! lol) (my first car was a 69 fastback rust-bucket - aka the Rustang)

So are you a fan of JDM cars too, or are those just coincidental initials for a guy with 2 classic cars? :-D
I'll get some pictures up of both soon once its in the garage. I was also looking for a 69 mustang fastback at the same time, but couldn't find anything for a decent price in decent condition.

Haha I respect the JDM cars, but its just a coincidence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is that a 2dr, 4dr, convertible? the rust you mentioned is pretty standard for those cars. are you going to be restoring to original or just make sure it looks nice?
Its a 2dr, originally with bucket seats in the front and I believe a 327. I'd like it to look relatively stock on the outside and inside, but with modern amenities like power steering, power brakes, EFI, A/C, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts