Impalas.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new to the Impala scene but have owned a couple of them in the past.Well I've been looking for a couple or 3 years now so I thought I would join up.Looking to hear from you people if I find one soon. Thanks.
John

·
Super Moderator
13,089 Posts
Welcome to the Team!

Well the first full size car to bear the name Impala appeared in 1958. It was also the first year for the redesigned full size line built on the new softer sprung X-frame (Chevy's "Jet Smooth Ride" (named for air travel before the effects of global warming because jet powered craft were more economical at high altitude, and that air was rarely disturbed by weather then). Personally I like to feel the road when I drive so i never liked any of the X-frame cars. Chevy returned to a ladder frame in 1965 with the new redesigned full size car )it also offered a Modern (for 1965-'73) big block Chevy as the venerable old 409 was replaced by a longer stroked 396 which had more torque to move a heavier car. Full size cars were gaining girth with every new model year topping the scales in 1971 with the heaviest Chevy ever built. (you could order the 427 and 454 in a full size car, but the similar in weight Cadillac had a 472-500 cube motor to push it down the road. Seventy model full size cars weigh as much as a pick-up truck (5,000 pounds plus) so think about cubes in your engine bay when buying the car or restoring it. The 400 cube small block Chevy engine was introduced to power full size cars in 1970 and ran through 1078. You can still find rebuildable SBC 400 engines in pick-up trucks, vans and full size Chevys parked in peoples yards up on blocks.

If your car choice comes with a PowerGlide, consider upgrading o the TH350 or 200R4 transmission if you are going to use a SBC, and a TH400 or 4L80 if you want big block power.

Big Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Team!

Well the first full size car to bear the name Impala appeared in 1958. It was also the first year for the redesigned full size line built on the new softer sprung X-frame (Chevy's "Jet Smooth Ride" (named for air travel before the effects of global warming because jet powered craft were more economical at high altitude, and that air was rarely disturbed by weather then). Personally I like to feel the road when I drive so i never liked any of the X-frame cars. Chevy returned to a ladder frame in 1965 with the new redesigned full size car )it also offered a Modern (for 1965-'73) big block Chevy as the venerable old 409 was replaced by a longer stroked 396 which had more torque to move a heavier car. Full size cars were gaining girth with every new model year topping the scales in 1971 with the heaviest Chevy ever built. (you could order the 427 and 454 in a full size car, but the similar in weight Cadillac had a 472-500 cube motor to push it down the road. Seventy model full size cars weigh as much as a pick-up truck (5,000 pounds plus) so think about cubes in your engine bay when buying the car or restoring it. The 400 cube small block Chevy engine was introduced to power full size cars in 1970 and ran through 1078. You can still find rebuildable SBC 400 engines in pick-up trucks, vans and full size Chevys parked in peoples yards up on blocks.

If your car choice comes with a PowerGlide, consider upgrading o the TH350 or 200R4 transmission if you are going to use a SBC, and a TH400 or 4L80 if you want big block power.

Big Dave
Thank you for that informative answer.I'll be looking for a 65-72 Impala or BelAir and unless a nice 2nd Gen Camaro/77-8 Firebird drops into my lap that's what I'll be getting.I already have a couple of BBC &SBC core's along with a running 400SBC I can swap plus a 200r4 trans. so engine and trans won't stop or alter my choice.I should have been looking for a project car a long time ago but there was no where to keep it so that never happened.
I'll make sure to post back if and when I find something but that will probably be awhile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts