Impalas.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the door weatherstripping on my 62 Impala convertible doors and now they are very hard to shut. I have done some research on this and it seems to be a common problem. So I thought I would ask the fine professionals on this site what I can do about it. I have tried adjusting the striker and the hinges but the fact is the doors shut perfect and aligned perfect before I installed the weatherstripping. I have waited 2 weeks with the doors shut for the seals to set but this has not helped. Maybe I used the wrong brand of weatherstrip. I used metro molded brand and installed them correctly with the plug inserts in the lower holes. What more can I do to solve this problem

·
Registered
263 Posts
I assume you've tried closing the doors with the top down or windows open, just to make sure that the "sealed room" effect is not causing the problem?
have you adjusted the doors at all since installing the new weatherstripping?

·
Super Moderator
3,590 Posts
I used Metro on my 66 'vert and like most others your research found, the new rubber was pretty firm.
It took way longer than 2 weeks for them to 'settle' if I recall correctly.
It may help to have the car sit outside to get the hot/cold temperature changes for a few weeks, or else give ol' Metro a call for their official take on things. (and for the record, I've heard the same issue from other cars with new seals fro Soft-Seal)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume you've tried closing the doors with the top down or windows open, just to make sure that the "sealed room" effect is not causing the problem?
have you adjusted the doors at all since installing the new weatherstripping?
I have adjusted the lower hinge allowing the door to stick out farther from the rocker. I am not happy with the alignment of the door now but is has reduced the closing pressure.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have adjusted the lower hinge allowing the door to stick out farther from the rocker. I am not happy with the alignment of the door now but is has reduced the closing pressure.
then it may be the "sealed room" effect where air can't leak out while closing the door and making the door harder to close. as @BA. pointed out, Metro is a good quality rubber supplier and it may just take some time for the rubber to get soft enough with regular compressing of the seals through regular use

1 - 5 of 5 Posts