Impalas.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking to begin an Impala project. Not sure which years I want to look at but roughly the late 60s. It'll be my first rebuild/restoration project so I look forward to trying it.

Sent from my G91 Max using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Keep us posted on your choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interesting. what prior experience do you have with working on older cars?
Older cars specifically. Not much. I've helped in some 88 3500 projects. Worked on a 90 prelude. Other than that, mostly newer small engines and such. It'll be my first project like this so I expect a lot of roadblocks and mistakes.

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
74 Posts
Don't fret, most mistakes can be corrected. I've been working on newer cars for 20 years now and in the last 5+ years with this classic I've learned A LOT of new things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't fret, most mistakes can be corrected. I've been working on newer cars for 20 years now and in the last 5+ years with this classic I've learned A LOT of new things.
I'm not too stressed about it. Some of this stuff I've done before, some will be brand new to me. I'm confident it'll be a stressful, exciting and rewarding experience.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Older cars specifically. Not much. I've helped in some 88 3500 projects. Worked on a 90 prelude. Other than that, mostly newer small engines and such. It'll be my first project like this so I expect a lot of roadblocks and mistakes.

ok, you got some experience so you SHOULD know what you're getting into. it almost sounded like you were "I'm gonna get me a classic that needs restoration and do it!" (with no experience):eek:

there is one thing you really need to know about the 65-70yrs...practically nothing interchanges between years. every year the design of each item changes and they will usually NOT fit on to a different year without some major work.

fenders, hood, grille, front bumper, rear bumper, tail lights, trunk lid, quarter panel, frame, wheelwell housings (and these are different between hardtops and convertibles), interiors, doors, etc.
about the only thing that interchanges between all years is the floor pans and the trunk pans. and all years typically rust in the same locations.

let us know if you have any other questions!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, you got some experience so you SHOULD know what you're getting into. it almost sounded like you were "I'm gonna get me a classic that needs restoration and do it!" (with no experience):eek:

there is one thing you really need to know about the 65-70yrs...practically nothing interchanges between years. every year the design of each item changes and they will usually NOT fit on to a different year without some major work.

fenders, hood, grille, front bumper, rear bumper, tail lights, trunk lid, quarter panel, frame, wheelwell housings (and these are different between hardtops and convertibles), interiors, doors, etc.
about the only thing that interchanges between all years is the floor pans and the trunk pans. and all years typically rust in the same locations.

let us know if you have any other questions!
Even if I didn't, be a good way to learn. Especially if you can take your time on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,590 Posts
GL in your search for a project - share some pics when you find one! We'll be glad to help where we can and watch the progress updates too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts