Impalas.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Impala SS Convertible
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Mike here and I have brought home a 65 SS vert a week ago. She hasn't ran in 33 years and been sitting in a barn covered up. So, I have a few questions for ya'll :)

Let me start off by saying I do not have keys to the car yet so turning on the ignition isn't there yet which is fine.
I stuck a battery in it and to see what worked and what didn't electrically. I have headlights (and high beams), horn blows so far. I would like to see if the top will go down.

Question: Does the key have to be "on" in order for that to work? Right now nada with key stuck in the off position. No turn signals either right now. Brake lights (no way) brakes and master cylinder froze up and going in the trash as I will be replacing with disk brakes.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
329 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The top should go up & down and brake lights will work without the key being "on". The key must be "on" for turn signals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks BA. This is gonna be a fun project for sure. Wish I had more space but I will make it happen. Thinking hard she will get an LS/4L60e..we'll see

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Super nice car. I wasn't expecting it to be that nice.

Lets us know if you need help with the keys.

Welcome to the site by the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks 62BillT! Yeah she will clean up nice I think. Hasn't run in 33 years so it's all coming out soon enough. I will do the suspension and replace all brakes, lines, and master/booster in prep for a new power plant. She has a 283/powerglide now which will not remain. Thinking LS or maybe crate 350. Right now I just want to see what works and getting a key made will be step one. I understand there is a code on the passenger lock that I can use to get a new key made. If not I'll drill out the ignition and replace em all. I do have a trunk key LOL

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Right, call a good lock smith store and ask them if they can produce a key for you from the door lock. I've done that a time or two myself.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks 62BillT! Yeah she will clean up nice I think. Hasn't run in 33 years so it's all coming out soon enough. I will do the suspension and replace all brakes, lines, and master/booster in prep for a new power plant. She has a 283/powerglide now which will not remain. Thinking LS or maybe crate 350. Right now I just want to see what works and getting a key made will be step one. I understand there is a code on the passenger lock that I can use to get a new key made. If not I'll drill out the ignition and replace em all. I do have a trunk key LOL

Recommend a drive train/engine built for low end torque (+400 lb-ft from 2k to 4k rpm). Today, a sb 383 can easily better the hp and torque of the OEM BB. A BB can be built to even higher numbers if that is what you want.

The 2 speed power glide is a performance killer in a street driver. Is a manual transmission in your plans? If not, an auto with more gears (3 or more) will do more for acceleration than an engine swap; even 'more' with an engine swap.

Just some suggestions.

Pete

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Recommend a drive train/engine built for low end torque (+400 lb-ft from 2k to 4k rpm). Today, a sb 383 can easily better the hp and torque of the OEM BB. A BB can be built to even higher numbers if that is what you want.

The 2 speed power glide is a performance killer in a street driver. Is a manual transmission in your plans? If not, an auto with more gears (3 or more) will do more for acceleration than an engine swap; even 'more' with an engine swap.

Just some suggestions.

Pete
The plan right now is to remove the 283/PG and replace with either an LS or like you mentioned a 383 crate. Tranny will be a 4l60e more than likely. As far as the rearend goes she has a 273 10 bolt in it now. I will pull that completely apart and rebuild or try and find a 12 bolt and do the same. I fist need to pull that engine and trans and clean/paint the engine compartment, do the front end complete with disc brakes etc. Lots do to.

·
Premium Member
1965 Impala SS 396 Convertible
63 Posts
Very cool car! Love the red interior/white top combo. Mine is Regal Red too, but with black/black which is nice enough, but love all that red.
Agree with you on trashing the PG "slushbox" and replacing with a TH350 or better, a TH400 and BB if you can't afford the $10K for an LS swap. May have to replace the driveline as well. The SBCs take a 10-bolt rear end and the BBCs a 12 bolt, but others on the forum have had more experience than I have with the rear end business. These old Chevies are pretty easy to convert to a manual box too, if you've got the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts