Impalas.net banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1960 Impala 4 dr sport sedan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all. I have a 1960 Impala, has been running great. Now all of the sudden, i have absolutely no electricity. Battery is good. Just replaced a bad positive cable and also the negative one. Still nothing, no lights, no horn,no interior dome lights. Please help.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
What is the other end of the Negative Cable attached to?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
When you attached the Negative Cable to the block, did you wire brush all contacts?

As well as tighten the bolt pretty tight?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Check each cable for continuity. Also check if your battery has 12+volts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
First thing I would do is test for power from the battery at the ignition switch & if there's power then test for power out at the ignition switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Might check the connector of the wire harness at the firewall (I think they had that back in 60). Give it a good wiggle or take it off and look for burnt contacts on the larger wires.
No burnt up connections. Cleaned up connections as best as I could

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most likly firewall connectors. They corode over time. Remove the firewall connectors at the fuse box and check for corosion. Clean each indivdual pin and re connect the connectors. Also check the battery connection at the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most likly firewall connectors. They corode over time. Remove the firewall connectors at the fuse box and check for corosion. Clean each indivdual pin and re connect the connectors. Also check the battery connection at the voltage regulator.
I quickly wire brushed them. I'll do it again, more thoroughly

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
95 Posts
Might check the connector of the wire harness at the firewall (I think they had that back in 60). Give it a good wiggle or take it off and look for burnt contacts on the larger wires.
I had this issue at one point. It was the plastic becoming "weak" over time and letting the plug loosen just enough to not make good connection.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
I've had some trouble with the bulkhead connector myself. I'm not sure how much experience you have with this stuff but here is a picture of roughly what it looks like on a different old Chevy.
It just snaps in place like most electrical connections. It may have tar/rubber sealer **** around it to keep rain/water out of the connections. It's just to the right of the steering column on the firewall in the engine bay.
Can you use a voltmeter/multi-meter to check for 12v at the voltage regulator? Do you have a 2nd small wire connecting to the Battery positive post?

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part

Motor vehicle Bumper Circuit component Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had some trouble with the bulkhead connector myself. I'm not sure how much experience you have with this stuff but here is a picture of roughly what it looks like on a different old Chevy.
It just snaps in place like most electrical connections. It may have tar/rubber sealer **** around it to keep rain/water out of the connections. It's just to the right of the steering column on the firewall in the engine bay.
Can you use a voltmeter/multi-meter to check for 12v at the voltage regulator? Do you have a 2nd small wire connecting to the Battery positive post?

View attachment 31157

View attachment 31158

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't have a 2nd wire from the positive post. My firewall connection is a single, not a double. I've been working on cleaning the pins on both sides of the connection.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Double check your Wire Connections at the Starter Solenoid as well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts