Impalas.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bicycle handlebar Tree Wood Grass Plant

1969 Chevrolet Impala
Howdy - I'm working on Vlad, my brother's 69 Impala.
"Vlad The Impala"
The turn signals stopped working. I checked the bulbs, the fuses and preemptively replaced the relay. Still nothing and then the Hazard light button broke. Since I needed to replace the Hazard light switch I ordered the turn signal switch and canceling cam (and the Horn contact parts because that decided to die too) and I replaced everything all at once. The horn and the Hazard Lights work great now, but the turn signals still don't work. They don't light up at all unless the Hazard Lights are turned on. Help me please.
Following a wiring diagram I traced wires from the turn signal relay in the under dash fuse box out to the front left corner where the fender meets the radiator support. Mounted between the fender and the tiny little coolant reservoir is a relay. Based on the wire diagram this relay is part of turn signal operation. Ok, I'm game. I'll call it part of the turn signal circuit. Following the diagram I see where it feeds wires to the front turn signals. No problem there. There is a red wire on the front right that is hot.
There is a black wire on the front left connected to a terminal marked "Bat". The other end of this black wire is hanging out not connected to anything and this wire is hot.
Mothe-F*cker!
Where does this damn wire go? If the wire diagram is correct then this black wire should feed through a channel in the upper radiator support and across to the passenger side front turn signal. There, in approximately the equivalent location to the relay, is a wire junction that has a black wire connected to it that appears to have been run to it from out of the upper radiator support.
What in the AF is going on here?
Circuit component Coil Gas Engineering Hardware programmer

Finger Gas Cable Circuit component Electronic engineering

Blue Carabiner Collar Bag Rock-climbing equipment

Hand Plant Tree Automotive lighting Road surface

Hand Shoe Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar

Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Diagram

Included are numerous pictures of the relay in question and the wire diagram I have been referring to. I know the diagram is for a Nova, but it matches the one for the Impala in the Haynes Manual. I just couldn't find an online copy for the Impala.
Help a brother, my brother, out.
Thank you.
~ Jeremy

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can't really answer your questions, other than you need to trace to where you do have power. So I would start at the turn signal switch that you replaced & test for 12v there, that will determine whether the lack of power problem is from the switch or to the switch.
I don't think the part you're calling a relay is, the wiring all looks far too heavy just for indicators, it looks more like a regulator or a rectifier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep finding contradictory information. A lot of references call this a Horn Relay, but the horn relay is located on the opposite fender wall near the hood hinge. I know that because the horn is run through it and I have a diagram for the wiring of the horn relay that indicates it to be for the horn and because all of the horn wires lead there.
The 2 relays look very much alike.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle

I only have a picture of the top of the Horn Relay by the hood hinge near the right rear of the engine compartment. Anyway, there is a lot of crossover in the use of relays on these old birds.
I believe that the relay I called a turn signal relay is also the "buzzer" for the key in the ignition. I'm not sure though so don't quote me on it!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've had a look at my wiring diagram for a 67, which is likely the same as a 68 & probably not that different to yours, definitely no hazard lights or buzzers though. Try using it as a schematic for the wiring layout & inter-connectivity even though the color codes may be different.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a look at my wiring diagram for a 67, which is likely the same as a 68 & probably not that different to yours, definitely no hazard lights or buzzers though. Try using it as a schematic for the wiring layout & inter-connectivity even though the color codes may be different.
Jynx,
Thank you very much. I will definitely try the comparison. I'm willing to try just about any resource to figure this out. You would think that there would be better resources online. It is 2022 and between my brother's 1969 Chevy Impala (Vlad) and my 2012 JGC Overland (I haven't named her yet) I can barely find repair information, diagrams, pictures or schematics. I find it insanely stupid! LOL... it's not funny, but I kind of have to laugh. Finding 1969 Impala information is a real pain in my brain. Why hasn't anyone ever transferred the microfiche to a digital format‽‽‽ Microfiche had every-dang-thing about each vehicle. Using the information on microfiche you could assemble an entire vehicle from a pile of the individual parts. My 2012 JGC Overland is from a slightly different part of the Jeep WK2 line that goes from 2011 to the present. The 2011, 2012 & 2013 years are different from the rest of the WK2s and it's harder to find information relevant to them and there are a lot of parts that didn't carryover into the newer versions.
Anyway, thank you. I appreciate you.
Thank you.
~ Jeremy

·
Registered
166 Posts
No worries at all. Good luck, the more you stare at a wiring diagram the more it makes sense. Just incase you don't know the boxes they show either side of the firewall with wires terminating in them are the multiplugs in the harness & they're paired horizontally in the diagram. I was wrong too, they do show a hazard switch, not one in my car though. Yep I feel your pain, maybe you should look into ordering a microfiche, the readers are probably cheap as chips if you can find one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was clueless on re-wiring on my '58 plus being color blind didn't help. But as Jynx wrote, "The more you stare, the more it makes sense". Patience is a virtue.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Reactions: BA.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Jesus, looked at that pic in a couple of posts & didn't even notice the neck saver, damn must be getting old. I see there's also an anti chaffing device handy, pays to think "ahead" haha.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
you know they actually sell a creeper for working under the dash? o_O
was surprised at first, but on reflection, that's pretty smart!
That's pretty cool. My last project was taking out a complete under the dash Wiring Harness from a '73 Caprice. I could use on of those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you know they actually sell a creeper for working under the dash? o_O
was surprised at first, but on reflection, that's pretty smart!

WHAT‽‽‽
HOLY CRAP... GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!
I need one of those. I need an under dash creeper! That is so cool!
No worries at all. Good luck, the more you stare at a wiring diagram the more it makes sense. Just incase you don't know the boxes they show either side of the firewall with wires terminating in them are the multiplugs in the harness & they're paired horizontally in the diagram. I was wrong too, they do show a hazard switch, not one in my car though. Yep I feel your pain, maybe you should look into ordering a microfiche, the readers are probably cheap as chips if you can find one.
One of the functions of that "relay" is the ignition key buzzer. Coming of the horn relay is a wire with an inline fuse that is burnt out. This wire runs across the top of the firewall from the right to the left and comes around to head to the left front inner fender arch where it was taped together with the wires from the air conditioning compressor that was deleted when the 327 was swapped out for the 355. I'm wondering if the idiot at the shop was allowed to disconnect the wires and he decided to rush by cutting the last few and thinking that he would remember to reattach them... people like that should not be allowed to work on anything that I may ever have to work on.
I haven't been able to work on Vlad for a few weeks because my Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland popped a rear Air Spring. Getting replacement parts is a b*tch. Everything is 7 to 21 days away.
So cranky.

·
Registered
33 Posts
WHAT‽‽‽
HOLY CRAP... GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!
I need one of those. I need an under dash creeper! That is so cool!

One of the functions of that "relay" is the ignition key buzzer. Coming of the horn relay is a wire with an inline fuse that is burnt out. This wire runs across the top of the firewall from the right to the left and comes around to head to the left front inner fender arch where it was taped together with the wires from the air conditioning compressor that was deleted when the 327 was swapped out for the 355. I'm wondering if the idiot at the shop was allowed to disconnect the wires and he decided to rush by cutting the last few and thinking that he would remember to reattach them... people like that should not be allowed to work on anything that I may ever have to work on.
I haven't been able to work on Vlad for a few weeks because my Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland popped a rear Air Spring. Getting replacement parts is a b*tch. Everything is 7 to 21 days away.
So cranky.
Hi all, With my old back, that creeper looks great. Sorry I cant be of any help, but I have a somewhat related issue. I have a 1970 Impala 4 Door Sedan. 30K original Actual miles (Never been around), original gold paint that still shines and original black vinyl top. My issue is with the key buzzer. I have it disconnected for now (I pulled a plug from on the while it was buzzing and it stopped). I am sure the key buzzer and its circuit or anything in the car has never been messed with. The key buzzer is working the opposite of how it is supposed to work. When the door is closed the key buzzer is not supposed to buzz with the key in. It is supposed to let you know the key is in when you open the door. Mine buzzes with the door closed with the engine running. When you open the door with the key in the buzzer stops. The car is like new, If anybody knows how to fix it, please help. Thank you, Cliff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all, With my old back, that creeper looks great. Sorry I cant be of any help, but I have a somewhat related issue. I have a 1970 Impala 4 Door Sedan. 30K original Actual miles (Never been around), original gold paint that still shines and original black vinyl top. My issue is with the key buzzer. I have it disconnected for now (I pulled a plug from on the while it was buzzing and it stopped). I am sure the key buzzer and its circuit or anything in the car has never been messed with. The key buzzer is working the opposite of how it is supposed to work. When the door is closed the key buzzer is not supposed to buzz with the key in. It is supposed to let you know the key is in when you open the door. Mine buzzes with the door closed with the engine running. When you open the door with the key in the buzzer stops. The car is like new, If anybody knows how to fix it, please help. Thank you, Cliff
Would you mind taking some under hood pictures?
With the buzzer buzzing follow the sound where is the sound coming from? Does it come from behind the driver's side headlight?
Facing the engine take a picture from above and make sure that you capture the entire engine compartment from fender to fender and firewall to radiator support.
Facing the engine step to your left and take a picture of that half of the engine, half of the firewall, fender wall and half radiator support.
Step to your right twice and take a picture of that half of the engine, half of the firewall, fender wall and half radiator support.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would you mind taking some under hood pictures?
With the buzzer buzzing follow the sound where is the sound coming from? Does it come from behind the driver's side headlight?
Facing the engine take a picture from above and make sure that you capture the entire engine compartment from fender to fender and firewall to radiator support.
Facing the engine step to your left and take a picture of that half of the engine, half of the firewall, fender wall and half radiator support.
Step to your right twice and take a picture of that half of the engine, half of the firewall, fender wall and half radiator support.
Hi Dodge, I think what you really want is a video. If you can find the time, please feel free to call me and I will attempt to show you the issue. Nine five four is the area code. The prefix is four six one, it is a Florida number but I am in the Foot Hills Of The Great Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. And the last four would be nine nine four zero. Evenings are best. Thank you, Cliff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Dodge, I think what you really want is a video. If you can find the time, please feel free to call me and I will attempt to show you the issue. Nine five four is the area code. The prefix is four six one, it is a Florida number but I am in the Foot Hills Of The Great Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. And the last four would be nine nine four zero. Evenings are best. Thank you, Cliff
@cliff70chevy
That sounds great. Thank you. By evening what time frame is that? I don't want to call too early or too late. I believe that we are in the same time zone. It is 9:41am now in Maine where I live.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The later the better. FYI, my 70 Impala is in amazing condition. I got it from a guy that had it with his grandfather for the past 25 YRS. It is not for sale, but you will be amazed when you see it. It is not perfect, but for 52 years old, I couldn't pass it up (even though it is a 4 door).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts