Impalas.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

got a 64 Impala lagoon Aqua exterior and same interior. Bought it as a first owner in New Zealand. apparently the whole things is original, it’s had touch ups and minor mechanics but still Never been painted another colour. But the Cowl tag states it’s a Saddle tan Is it possible that this is a production line error? I can’t see any traces of previous paint even where paint has faded or chipped.

please see the photos below of my impala and cowl tag I would really appreciate any help with this before I decide to restore the car or change the colour.

Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
What's the last 6 of your vin? Should check and see if the cowl tag lines up. Might be around L138-L140?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Coal tags can be changed obviously ( there is a old yard near me that I could grab 40 )
But in your case I cannot see any advantage. Seller was on the up and up ?
Dan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi guys

got a 64 Impala lagoon Aqua exterior and same interior. Bought it as a first owner in New Zealand. apparently the whole things is original, it’s had touch ups and minor mechanics but still Never been painted another colour. But the Cowl tag states it’s a Saddle tan Is it possible that this is a production line error? I can’t see any traces of previous paint even where paint has faded or chipped.

please see the photos below of my impala and cowl tag I would really appreciate any help with this before I decide to restore the car or change the colour.

Thanks
View attachment 29653
Looks like the interior has the same Tan colour (code 857) as the outside according to picture I found on the web.
63swinteriorlg.jpg
Your cars looks good for its age and shows signs of wear for a 50 odd year old, but not signs of a repaint anywhere I can see.
Looking closely at the Tag, the rivets look newer than the Cowl tag and the black rim of paint around them doesn't line up.
Perhaps a sign of a change somewhere along the line.

As far as the VIN goes I'm sure they weren't matched to the Cowl Tag for the year 1964 and 1A = January, week 1 when built according to the cowl tag if that helps.
You could get the VIN number and find when the serial number was actually built in all factories and see if any were built around January week 1, all assembly plants started their serial numbers at 100001 so if yours is a lot higher then it will have been built later in the year, a lot of looking but probably the only way?
The only down side is the VIN could not be original as well, but you can check the top of the chassis under the drivers seat and see if the numbers match the VIN, a little hard to get too but........

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts