Impalas.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been wondering if the pcv setup on my 63 impalas 350sb is incorrect. It has factory chrome valve covers that came off a friends ‘73 corvette. I have the oil fill and pcv on the driver side(cover needs to be flipped over)and on the passenger side a chrome closed breather

i was looking at photos of 70s corvettes with 350 that utilized the same covers and on the passenger side they tend to have a breather with an elbow going up to the air cleaner like in the first photo below. Seems like it be a better setup than just the chrome breather cap I have now. The second & third photos are my cars engine.

Any help is appreciated guys.

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Light Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
533 Posts
Functionally I think you are fine; but different from '63 OEM.

You have an 'open' type system; similar in function to the '63 OEM version.

Later 'closed' versions did not 'vent' to the atmosphere. They vented to the air cleaner (for environmental/emission considerations).

Attached is a screen shot from the '64 shop manual that shows both type systems.

Hope that is helpful.

Pete
Font Parallel Art Auto part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the driver side valve cover and see I have no baffle at all under the Pcv valve. Is one needed under it? I believe there is one under the breather on the passenger side valve cover but haven’t checked that side yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts