Impalas.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

The Keisler Team has joined as a Sponsor, and we would like to help you with any tech questions about swapping in Tremec TKO T56 5 & 6-speed manual transmissions or 4L60E/4L65E/4L70E 4-speed automatic transmissions into Impalas.

We have a lot of experience in this, and can help with both commonly asked questions as well as the highly technical questions.

Please feel free to post q's here, and one of our staff members or I will answer them.

Have a Happy 2009!

Shafi Keisler, Pres & Founder

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have already gone through this but am curious to hear your reply. I put a TKO 600 in my 62 Impala. The TKO is considerably longer than the stock power glide which was in the car. These 2 piece drive shaft x-frame cars are very sensitive to vibration if the drive shaft angles and or pinion angle is off. The motor and tranny is installed stock at approx 3 degrees down at the rear. If you install the tremec and keep the motor and tranny down at the same degree, the rear yoke is obviously further to the rear but, and here is the real problem, it is also lower by quite a bit.This in turn affects the u-joint angles as the center bearing is mounted to the tunnel bottom inside the frame. What have you come across as far as correcting the misaligned drive shaft angles on the 59-64 Impala's? Also what do you have for info from swaps you have been involved in as far as needing to cut the tunnel for clearance on the 59-64's? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have already gone through this but am curious to hear your reply. I put a TKO 600 in my 62 Impala. The TKO is considerably longer than the stock power glide which was in the car. These 2 piece drive shaft x-frame cars are very sensitive to vibration if the drive shaft angles and or pinion angle is off. The motor and tranny is installed stock at approx 3 degrees down at the rear. If you install the tremec and keep the motor and tranny down at the same degree, the rear yoke is obviously further to the rear but, and here is the real problem, it is also lower by quite a bit.This in turn affects the u-joint angles as the center bearing is mounted to the tunnel bottom inside the frame. What have you come across as far as correcting the misaligned drive shaft angles on the 59-64 Impala's? Also what do you have for info from swaps you have been involved in as far as needing to cut the tunnel for clearance on the 59-64's? Thanks.
Durg,

To achieve the correct driveline angle, you must cut the floor tunnel hump. We supply the template and sheetmetal modifier with our PerfectFit kit. We did this swap in our shop years ago on a really nice '63 that runs on Power Tour with us. He has the factory SS console, factory pencil shifter handle, etc.

You will need to shorten the first driveshaft. Alternatively, you could go to a 1piece. If you do, consider upgrading to aluminum 3.5 or 4inch so the critical speed is higher and you don't pick up vibration.

Thanks for posting!

Shafi

1 - 3 of 3 Posts