Impalas.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the site.
Have a question for my father in-law. He has a 63 bought new off the show room. He is wanting to convert over to disk brakes on the front, I did this to my 70 cst/10 but his car has manual brakes. He would like to convert over to power brakes, does anyone have any suggestion, or done this any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
Trey

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have a question for my father in-law. He has a 63 bought new off the show room. He is wanting to convert over to disk brakes on the front, I did this to my 70 cst/10 but his car has manual brakes. He would like to convert over to power brakes, does anyone have any suggestion, or done this any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
Trey
question #1 - does he want to keep it all original? does he want "factory looking brakes"?
question #2 - does he have a budget?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey 65 & 67,
yes he would like to keep it original, he looked at one brand of brake conversion, but there was a note that he would be unable to use his stock 14" wheels On my 70 CST I used scarebird conversion and looking at their website you will be able to keep the original wheels because you use your spindles.
He is getting up their in years and would like to have power brakes, that's my biggest thing I'm not for sure where to start looking for power brakes on a 63.
Budget we all have a budget but do we really stick to it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey 65 & 67,
yes he would like to keep it original, he looked at one brand of brake conversion, but there was a note that he would be unable to use his stock 14" wheels On my 70 CST I used scarebird conversion and looking at their website you will be able to keep the original wheels because you use your spindles.
He is getting up their in years and would like to have power brakes, that's my biggest thing I'm not for sure where to start looking for power brakes on a 63.
Budget we all have a budget but do we really stick to it.
ok, so he's of the "as long as it works and I get to keep my old wheels type the brakes don't have to LOOK factory ". got it.

·
Super Moderator
3,546 Posts
Dcairns is a member here who has done this on his 64 I believe. There are definitely parts available for what your dad wants to do.
Here's a related thread from another site - there's a couple of references in it to one place you can probably still get a kit.

If that doesn't pan out, I'm pretty certain that Wilwood has everything you need but they can be a little price for anyone having to keep the costs down.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Between the 1963 Shop Manual Supplement, and the 1961 Shop Manual (the manual the '63 'supplements'), one may find the details of the power brake systems.

The main changes are under the hood (and pedal). Not much (if any) to the brakes themselves as I recall. Check the Manuals.

Parts availability? I do not have a recommendation. NAPA? Rock Auto? Just guesses on my part.

Pete

·
Registered
118 Posts
been looking at my Hollander interchange manual, I'm not seeing where disc brakes were offered until 1967. they list no calipers before then. and while there were dual master cylinders for 62-63 and apparently power brakes were offered during the same period, I'm not positive on my reading of that.
Unless one of our more knowledgeable elders comes up with an answer, I'm going to say you'll be looking at the aftermarket for that solution

in a different section of the manual, it looks like the front spindle for a 63-64 was forged and apparently is shared with the 63-64 Corvette. Now I don't know much about Corvettes but I wouldn't be surprised if they had disc at the time.

the upper and lower arms were different after 64 between Impalas, but once again the lower arm is the same as a 63-64 Corvette but the upper arm is Impala/Delivery only
The front suspension knee assembly is 60-64 Impala only

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just some info/opinion:

When Chevy went with disc brakes in the front of the full size cars, they also changed to 15" wheels (to accommodate the rotor diameter they wanted for the heavier full size car). Chevelle and Camaro (examples; did not look at 'Vette) are lighter and Chevy retained 14" wheels but used smaller rotors.

You decide how much 'safety' you may gain by using disc brake kits for 14" wheels.

I would not bother. "Fade" from heat build up (after repeated hard braking for example) is the main advantage of the disc brakes. If the driver intends to drive like 'normal' folks and is not pulling a trailer, or does not 'ride' the brakes going down steep hills, the OEM drums are just fine (in my opinion).

Simply changing to vacuum power assisted brakes reduces foot pressure and pedal travel. OEM design works just fine.
As I said previously, I do not have any vendor recommendations.

Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with Pete. There are kits to convert to power drums (be sure it's for drums) and they usually come with dual master (good idea, from someone who lost all brakes on the freeway). Gets you all the bang you want with 1/10 the bucks and work. You will need to fiddle with the brake lines though.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Thanks again.
Trey
MUSCLE CAR BRAKES "BRAKES IN A BOX " HAS A KIT FOR KEEPING THE DRUM BRAKES. HAVE IT ON MY 63 WAGON... HAS HD WHEEL CYLINDERS, SPRINGS , ETC. AND CERAMIC LININGS...FOR THE SHOES....(STAGE 3 KIT) HAS NEW DRUMS ETC FOR ALL 4 WHEELS. LOOK EM UP. HAVE MANUAL 67 DUAL MASTER...AND THEY WORK FINE. 383 STROKER TURBO 350... STOPE ON A DIME. NO ISSUES AFTER 4 YEARS... I RUN 15 X 8 CORVETTE RALLY WHEELS .. RADIAL TIRES... GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MUSCLE CAR BRAKES "BRAKES IN A BOX " HAS A KIT FOR KEEPING THE DRUM BRAKES. HAVE IT ON MY 63 WAGON... HAS HD WHEEL CYLINDERS, SPRINGS , ETC. AND CERAMIC LININGS...FOR THE SHOES....(STAGE 3 KIT) HAS NEW DRUMS ETC FOR ALL 4 WHEELS. LOOK EM UP. HAVE MANUAL 67 DUAL MASTER...AND THEY WORK FINE. 383 STROKER TURBO 350... STOPE ON A DIME. NO ISSUES AFTER 4 YEARS... I RUN 15 X 8 CORVETTE RALLY WHEELS .. RADIAL TIRES... GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 64 Impala SS (2nd owner). Had original manual Drum Brakes. I’m trying to keep it stock but wanted to have power breaks. I found an original complete power brake booster (w/Pedal connecting rod and attached firewall bracket). It needed to be rebuilt so I sent it in for a rebuild and had it plated. Paid $75 for the booster and another $140 for the rebuild and plating. It bolted right in the firewall and connected perfectly to the pedal. Works great stopping the car with very little effort. I never disconnected the master so I didn’t need to bleed the brakes. It would be nice (and safer) to have a dual master but this works fine for my needs given how infrequently I drive the car.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts