Impalas.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I searched a long time but couldn't find an answer.
Partly due to nearly getting killed from total brake loss I want to convert my 63 Impala sedan from manual single cylinder brakes to power dual cylinder. Sticking with drums.
Is there a tutorial anywhere?
Are there any later model units that will bolt on?
Anyone have experience with the Jegs/Summit stuff?
Any thoughts on routing the lines, and should I replace them as a matter of course? It's a southwest car so no serious (apparent) corrosion.
Thanks much in advance. I hope to contribute soon a bit with a wiper motor hack (assuming it works).

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
On my 65, I ordered (locally) the dual drum/drum master for a 67 Impala. Bought the line conversion kit from Inline Tube on ebay. Worked perfectly, but had to add a 3/16-1/4 adapter for the rear hard line. Looks factory to those that don't know. On my other 65 C10, I did my own lines since I didn't care what it looked like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my 65, I ordered (locally) the dual drum/drum master for a 67 Impala. Bought the line conversion kit from Inline Tube on ebay. Worked perfectly, but had to add a 3/16-1/4 adapter for the rear hard line. Looks factory to those that don't know. On my other 65 C10, I did my own lines since I didn't care what it looked like.
Thanks Jay. Problem is it seems like it's all different starting in 65 so I can't figure out if the 67 stuff fits the 63.

·
Registered
118 Posts
my 39th edition Hollander says :
disc brakes were available starting 1967 so these notes are specific to drum

front hub & drum assembly: 1963-68
front brake drums: 1959-67 fronts are same, but different from rears
rear brake drums: 1959-67 rears are same, but different from fronts
hubs: 1961-68drum brake same
power brake cylinder assembly: 62-64, 65-66, 67-70, each range of years is different
brake master cylinder: 62-66 dual cylinder, 67 different

also, I kept the above simple because they also offered metallic lining, single and dual cylinder, power and non-power, depending on the year. they also had different brake manufacturers which changed the system (Bendix, Moraine, Kelsey-Hayes) . since you said you wanted to stay drum all around, I skipped over the disc systems

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my 39th edition Hollander says :
disc brakes were available starting 1967 so these notes are specific to drum

front hub & drum assembly: 1963-68
brake drums: 1959-67 fronts are same, rears are different from front but also same
hubs: 1961-68drum brake same
power brake cylinder assembly: 62-64, 65-66, 67-70, each range of years is different
brake master cylinder: 62-66 dual cylinder, 67 different

also, I kept the above simple because they also offered metallic lining, single and dual cylinder, power and non-power, depending on the year. they also had different brake manufacturers which changed the system (Bendix, Moraine, Kelsey-Hayes)
Wow, excellent! Thank you sir, just what I needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, excellent! Thank you sir, just what I needed.
I'm forgetting the details but I abandoned this scheme for my 64 years ago because the dual cylinder will not fit in the engine compartment.
I still have a new in box dual cylinder that I would gladly sell for less than what Rock Auto currently charges plus shipping from Denver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts