Impalas.net banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just picked up a '95 Grand Cherokee power steering box for cheap. I can get the rag joint from Lee's but my 65 Impala had manual steering so I still need a pump and lines.

Any advice on the easiest pump to use? Sounds I'll either have to get a factory pump and adapt the lines to the box or get an updated pump and adapt the mount to my 283.

·
Super Moderator
2,916 Posts
Looks like several steering boxes will work. I used a 77 or 78 Camaro Z 28 box as it was the last year be for going to the O rings fittings. If your going from power to power change to your 65 pitman arm as the Camaro or whatever donor vehicle pitman arm will be all wrong. If your going from manuel to power you will need a 65 power pitman arm. I'm pretty sure the power and manuel box pitman arms are different.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just picked up a '95 Grand Cherokee power steering box for cheap. I can get the rag joint from Lee's but my 65 Impala had manual steering so I still need a pump and lines.

Any advice on the easiest pump to use? Sounds I'll either have to get a factory pump and adapt the lines to the box or get an updated pump and adapt the mount to my 283.
Since you will need a new pump and lines anyway, it really doesn't matter which route you go. Just make sure that your pump brackets will mount to the setup you have. Either the o ring style or the flare fittings will work, as long as thats what you have on the pump and box.
Hope that helps!
Nick

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is an address for a paper that I authored on installing a fast ratio power gear into Chevelles. The paper is correct for Chevrolet B-cars as well:
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=551

Production 1965 thru 1968 B-Car Power Gear Specs
Pitman shaft sweep 87 degrees (This is a full travel gear)
Steering gear ratio 17.5:1 (This would be a very slow ratio - lots of steering wheel turns lock to lock)
Valve effort: 15 to 21 inch-lb (This would be very light effort - pinky finger light effort)

Here are some excel spreadsheets on fast ratio gears

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=557

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=566

One last thought. All of the fast ratio gears have the modern 3/4 diameter input shafts. You will need to purchase a newer flexible coupoing with that same 3/4 diameter flange to fit the new gear. If the flexible coupling that is currently on your "old" gear is in good shape, don't throw it away. Your original gear had a 13/16 diameter input shaft. They aren't making flex couplings that fit the old large diameter gear shafts any more. These old flex couplings are going to be very rare in the near future - if they aren't already.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Power steering

Hate to spoil the spirit of using parts off other vehicles... :sad:
I had a 66 B-body, and installed a stock 66 power steering, and it was great around town, but a little too light" especially taking the L72 through the gears!

I have a 67 Impala now, and its standard steering..:noway:
Should I go with stock P.S. (new parts)? or can I buy a complete bolt on KIT (more variable ratio style) ???

·
Premium Member
13,148 Posts
Used parts still work. You just look to a mid eighties gear box. GM didn't change the sector gear shaft out for the bigger diameter bar until about 1985. The earlier ones were really small, designed to isolate you from road feel as Chevy was still clinging to the Jet Smooth Ride Ideal that Diana Shore used to sing about up until then.

Big Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since I want my parts to come in a box with instructions...(I'm old and retired) with all bolts etc Just shop the internet?

·
Premium Member
13,148 Posts
There are several vendors selling reconditioned 600 and 800 series Saginaw power steering boxes off of late model cars as kits to replace the older sponge-O-matic Saginaw boxes (they haven't changed anything other than the hose connection and the size of the input shaft since 1965). You will need a special hose (or adapter; though a new hose is the better way to go), a new rag joint to bolt one onto to your car, and some cleaning supplies with a can of semi-gloss black paint and a little time to swap one over.

Just be sure to measure the Pitman arm off your old box as the length has to match. The only difference between a 600 and an 800 box is the spline count (size) of the out put shaft and how they cover the top. Bigger cars (Impalas) got the big dia output shaft with four bolts on top holding on an aluminum plate. The 600 has a round steel plate on top held on with a snap ring with the smaller diameter out put shaft (as found on a lighter Camaro).

Big Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great info.... you sold me...(Big Dave) I will follow your directions.................

THANKS for "Steering me in the right direction :bow::bow:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dadstoy makes a great point that may have been overlooked. A stock '65 Pitman arm WILL NOT fit on the Grand Cherokee boxes if you are upgrading from MANUAL steering. I just found this out too late.

My manual steering pitman diameter is too small. Now I have to find a stock power steering pitman? I was this close...

·
Super Moderator
2,916 Posts
The 65 power pitman arm is hard to find.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes it is. None on ebay, can't find at regular parts suppliers. Really wanted to drive this weekend.

Does anyone know which years or other models are the same? I can't even find a part #.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just called 'em a few minutes ago. They say 4-6 weeks for manufacturing.

Thanks anyway. I'll keep looking. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

·
Super Moderator
2,916 Posts
Must be a fast selling item.

·
Registered
54 Posts
nicke already put up some great information. I’ll add my findings from my conversion of a ‘65 manual steering impala with a 283. Just finished and love it!

Conversion parts needed and some notes-

Power Steering Box
JIML82 wrote an excellent article about which vehicles came with the best steering boxes that just swap right in (http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=551). I got a used box from a ‘95 Grand Cherokee for $35.

Rag Joint (flex coupling)
Also in JIML82’s paper there are few vehicles that have the required flex coupling if you can find them. I bought a new one from adanceautoparts.com Lares #200. This is the part lee-powersteering.com usually sells but they referred me to advance because they were out. $33

Fluid Line Adapters
Lee-powersteering.com sells small adapters that convert newer power box fittings into flare fittings for your older pump lines. $15

If converting from Manual Steering, you will ALSO need these parts-

Pump, Pulley and Lines
Factory pump, pulley and lines that would have come on your car if you had factory power steering. I bought a used pump that was supposedly taken from a ‘68 impala but it didn’t fit my 283. Ended up buying a new pump and pulley at the local parts store. $135 if no core return.

Pump Brackets

It is very important that you get the correct brackets for your motor. I am running a 283 and the pump is supposed to be mounted on the lower driver side. I bought some cheap brackets from a guy who was “sure” they were correct for me. Wrong, had to buy more. These are the only brackets that work for my 283. One is the lower cradle $44 ebay, the other supports the back and adjusts belt tension $35 classicindustries.com.

Motor Mount Modification

Even when I finally found the correct brackets for the pump, the rear one would not attach to my factory driver side motor mount. The bottom flanges on the motor mount get in the way. Some aftermarket mounts don’t have these and are simply flat along the bottom plate. I just cut the flanges off. $0

Crank Pulley for Pump
The crank pulley that drives the fluid pump. You can get these on ebay but it may take a while. Got mine from Classic Industries. $50

Pitman Arm
If you had power steering to start with, that pitman will work. If you’re starting with manual, your pitman arm is too small. This is a very hard part to find. Some online places claim to sell it but there’s a 6 week wait to manufacture... Your best bet is to call lots of classic wrecking yards. I finally found one an hour away from home. I had to pay $45 for the whole power box and pull it myself but it was worth it. I got mine off a ‘65 bel air. There’ a lot of conflicting reports on which years/models are the same so I can only tell you mine works.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts