Impalas.net banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pump brackets

Added info:hurray: if you are planning on running an 8" balancer you need a corvette cradle. If not the balancer will hit the factory 327 cradle... Ask me how I know.:mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
63 steering conversion question

Hey guys, looking to start on my 63 and I am replacing everything up front. I was looking into the CPP 500 series power steering kits, but was wondering if I can do it for cheaper by ordering the pitman arm, tie rod ends, and what not then simply buy a used Saginaw steering box from a used parts shop? I guess I'm wondering if the Saginaw steering box (steering ratio aside) is about the same dimensions and if it will fit???

·
Super Moderator
13,133 Posts
Every Saginaw 500, 600, and 800 series gear box uses the exact same holes to bolt the steering gear to the frame, so they are interchangeable as far as the bolt up goes. All of the boxes have one of two out-put shafts that vary in size (spline count) according to the gross weight of the vehicle (bigger cars and light trucks have bigger output shafts). Finally there are two different input shaft sizes that will have one of three different means of attaching the rag joint (splined, flat D and metric spline). So they are relatively easy to install if you have the right Pitman arm to match the box and the input. By the way the Pitman arm differs in length to match manual or power assist and whether it is a high performance (police) piece or not.

Yes you can find a used box match a Pitman arm and rag joint for probably a little less in cost than the vendor, but you will have to run all of the correct parts to ground yourself (which isn't a bad thing come time to replace worn parts).

Big Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Zeke

I hate to bring up an old topic but I need help. Will the Jeep Box also work for a 1963 Impala? Will it bolt right up? I have a non power steering box in it now.

·
Super Moderator
13,133 Posts
Welcome to the Team Zeke!

The newer power steering boxes seal with an O-ring instead of a flared compression fitting. You can buy the adapters at NAPA, and the other usual suspects (all of the on-line speed shops).

Here is the O-ring seal fitting visible in the steering gear box.

Here are the O-ring adapters:

Finally the rag joint went metric so you need a new rag joint that has English on one side and Metric on the other:

This is in addition to the other parts as noted above.

I might add that the pulley is going to be important as well. The BBC use the same power steering pumps as do LS-x motors (everything made in the past quarter century) but none of these will line up with the SBC pulleys you already have.

Big Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for replying Big Dave. I am going with a ls1 motor in the car so it has the newer style power steering pump. One other question. What late model car can I get the steering box from? I heard the Jeep Cherokee boxes are great and really want to go that route just need to know if it will bolt right up?

·
Super Moderator
13,133 Posts
GM not only used the same Saginaw steering gear box in every car they made from 1965 and up but they sols the steering gear box for use in Fords, and Chrysler Jeeps (the rest of Chrysler's line up used torsion bar suspension which interfered with the standard steering arrangement used by everybody else).

Prior to 1965 the steering, especially the power assist was very different than that used from 1965 and up. Rather than put the power assist hydraulic piston inside the steering gear box like it was done on newer cars; the Chevy engineers used a manual steering gear box, with the gear box controlling the line pressure to a slave hydraulic cylinder, bolted to the frame and tie rod the way it is done on agricultural tractors and large heavy duty trucks. It is simple, and very effective, because if you loose hydraulic pressure you can still steer the car (which is why the Corvette retained this system until the early eighties).

If you have ever tried to steer a power assist gear box with the motor off you know what I am talking about. Which is why Chevy is being sued for the ignition switch problem. Keys fall out turning the switch to off; either locking the steering column, or making the car hard to steer due to no power assist. Then when it finally crashes, the air bags do not deploy because the ignition is off.

Whether a Jeep box will bolt up and clear your custom radiator I do not know. Usually the steering gear box is an upgrade made to a manual steering car without all of the hoses and the added large hydraulic cylinders that is attached to the car on a power assist.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,133 Posts
Thanks for replying Big Dave. I am going with a ls1 motor in the car so it has the newer style power steering pump. One other question. What late model car can I get the steering box from? I heard the Jeep Cherokee boxes are great and really want to go that route just need to know if it will bolt right up?
Read these articles that can answer your questions and point you in the right direction if you want to crawl the yards instead of buying a remanufactured gear box and associated parts in a kit:

List of host vehicles and how to identify what you are looking for:
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2007/09/01/hmn_feature21.html

List of companies selling steering gear box upgrades as a kit:
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2009/04/01/hmn_tips3.html

An old Car Craft magazine article detailing how to do the upgrade (now it is part of Hot Rod magazine):
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/ccrp-0901-gm-steering-box-upgrade/

I suggest to one and all to down load these articles to your computer while you can as print magazines are dying off due to people downloading everything to their smart phones. So this currently free information will soon disappear all together or become pay to view.

People like myself that not only read printed material (I don't even own a smart phone), and have the personal experience of hotrodding, racing, and knowledge of the automotive industry that made these cars originally are dying off rapidly now so get it while you can. (no body makes patch panels or reproduces parts to fix us up).

Big Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Big Dave for the info. I also have a 2006 impala that has been recalled for the key issue.The wrote me a letter about a year ago about the problem and said they would contact me when the part was available. Haven't heard from them since. Gotta love GM lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dave/Nicke,

I have a 65 with an LS in it.

Am considering a different power steering box. The pump I am using is from the LS, I just had custom lines made.

Best or easiest way to get one of the 12.7:1 boxes in there? One of the things I dont like is my steering. Seems I need to move the wheel 1/8 or 1/4 turn to move wheels when moving.

Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hey Leon... Grab a 12.7:1 box out of a jeep cherokee as mentioned and use the pump from your LS. Now that I have switched to an LS also, that's what I did. All is great!

Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

Thanks!
-Nick

41 - 53 of 53 Posts