Impalas.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been Googling for quite a bit and haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

Has anyone ever seen or have a copy of a list that helps ballpark the hours needed for different parts of project reassembly? I'm really not interested in Paint/Body because that work is done, and we all know what a rat-hole that can be anyway based on a cars condition.

But what about:

Full wiring installation with new kit
Full fuel line, filter,tank installation
Dash, dashpad and gauges installation
interior seats and panels and headliner
All lighting front and back
All exterior trim bits (I get it, varies by car)
All side glass, regulators and window felts

You get the idea.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you doing this yourself? I'm doing it all except the fuel lines, (did them earlier) and hope to be done in a couple weeks (of nights and weekends). Got most of the body put back together today, windows are giving me fits. Nothing changed, but now they don't work right! Gonna rewire in the next week, and hopefully bring the car home then. I'm chasing down different trim clips, as the 'standard' ones won't work since someone welded the (elongated) holes shut, and I drilled normal holes. I do have the fenders done and trunk lid, doors and quarters to go. Headliner shouldn't be bad, I've done a couple, didn't look too good or too bad, but this one should be easier that those. NOTE: be sure to paint your headliner bows! My 55 has rust streaks in the seams now, not that bad, but noticeable. Already have carpet and seat covers, new package tray, and sail panels (that need covered) and to finish the upper rear side panels. Gasket installation went very well, didn't take long at all. Window felts were pretty straight forward, holes already drilled, but the ones that go on the inside panels can be challenging. Dash and lighting goes with 'new wiring kit', so they shouldn't count as extra tasks! I did all this before on my 55, but the longer something is apart, the easier it is to forget how things go.
I guess this didn't really answer your question, but I hope it helps!
Craig

·
Registered
47 Posts
strangely enough, this question came up just last week on another forum I belong to. someone was asking about a planning/tracking book and someone posted about one, while I found another while researching the first one mentioned. The two books are:

Car Project Planning Book, Big Daddy's Speedshop (it's on Amazon) ($10)
Gearz Project Planning book ($35)

they allow for documentation and pictures and supposedly a bunch of stuff but I had trouble finding anything verifiable about whether it would work for my tracking needs

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@craig32, I'm not doing it myself. There's just not enough time and fortunately I can work out paying someone to do the assembly.
Good luck on your ride though - I have a TON of sweat-equity in my 66 Impala which still has plenty of things I want to improve on it. My question on assembly hours is really about a 2nd car I'd like to be driving.

@65/67 Impala, I've seen Stacey David show that book on Gearz that you noted. It looks like a really well laid out project book! I checked out the Big Daddy one and it seems very similar. Great idea for project tracking, wish I had one before starting on this Impala back in the day. (like 2009)

·
Registered
47 Posts
@65/67 Impala, I've seen Stacey David show that book on Gearz that you noted. It looks like a really well laid out project book! I checked out the Big Daddy one and it seems very similar. Great idea for project tracking, wish I had one before starting on this Impala back in the day. (like 2009)
it may be but I haven't seen enough of the book to really see how well it works. and I'm not about to drop $35 on something with no 'samples' lying around

1 - 7 of 7 Posts