Impalas.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally started my 66 build this summer. Unfortunately, it hasn't gone as swimming since I had surgery. But now that I'm back to normal, it's time to pick up.

The plan was originally to put a 350 in it. But, the engine I had wasn't going to be salvaged to make it in.

Here's where the interesting part comes in. Now, I know it isn't the most cost effective for performance builds but, I am able to get a tall deck 427 for about $100 with only 100k miles.

Pretty sweet, right? Only problems are I haven't found what others have done to see if they even fit in our cars. I'm aware it's a taller engine and that it's 8 quart pan won't work. That's where a 4 is used. But, as far as the actual fitment, anyone ever do this?

I know it's not the regular 427 and I'll probably be putting more money into it than what building a normal 427 up. It just something that kind of intrigues me.

Advice and input is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my F91 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There isn't really any goal. I'm not going to throttle the hell out of it or race it. Just a nice driver that has a little giddy up and pep in it's step. There's a temptation just to cam it and call it a day.

·
Registered
329 Posts
4 quart pan may not be a problem. Not a high RPM revver, due to small oval port heads (aka "peanut port") and heavy pistons. These truck engines have and extra oil control piston ring, therefore bigger and heavier pistons. You need to use a distributor designed for a Tall-deck BBC. You can use a regular deck BBC intake manifold with spacers.
Taller deck = wider engine, which may cause fitment issues. Note: the Tall-deck 427 uses the same crankshaft and connecting rods as a regular-deck 427. In theory, you can use a regular-deck 454 block with your Tall-deck 427 crankshaft and connecting rods.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've checked out a few companies in terms of the spacers. It seems that won't be too much of a problem for parts if I decide to fully build.

I'm wondering more about the fitment. I've heard of people putting them in a Biscayne without modification. With as deep as the engine bay is, do you all think I would have to go with a cowl hood to make up clearance?

That engine also takes 427 pistons as well, correct? I've read some information stating 454 works as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nontruck - 454 will fit and will give you about the same HP for the money.

You can pickup a rebuilt 454 for $3k-$5 and add heads, intake, and a cam, and have a 550hp motor pretty cheap.
Even the truck 454 will fit and Im aware I could get pretty decent numbers. If I went the 454 route, I'd go with a peanut port and rebuild it entirely. With heads, cams and intake manifold, it'd make decent power.

Reason why I'm looking at this TD is because it's only $100. I'm not trying to build up to 500+hp. For what I do, there's no point. Now there will be some mods like a better intake manifold and camshaft, more than likely. But, it's not going to be blasting the roads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4 quart pan may not be a problem. Not a high RPM revver, due to small oval port heads (aka "peanut port") and heavy pistons. These truck engines have and extra oil control piston ring, therefore bigger and heavier pistons. You need to use a distributor designed for a Tall-deck BBC. You can use a regular deck BBC intake manifold with spacers.
Taller deck = wider engine, which may cause fitment issues. Note: the Tall-deck 427 uses the same crankshaft and connecting rods as a regular-deck 427. In theory, you can use a regular-deck 454 block with your Tall-deck 427 crankshaft and connecting rods.
For the clearance, from what I gathered is the intake is the issue. The theory them would be a low rise manifold and a cowl hood, am I mistaken in that? The width shouldn't interfere too much with the other components and there wouldn't be any need to move the firewall at all.

·
Registered
329 Posts
.....That engine also takes 427 pistons as well, correct? ....
No, Tall-deck 427 pistons are not the same as regular-deck 427 pistons. The Tall-deck 427 pistons are physically taller to to make room for an extra oil-control piston ring. It uses 4 piston rings vs 3 piston rings for a regular deck 427.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, Tall-deck 427 pistons are not the same as regular-deck 427 pistons. The Tall-deck 427 pistons are physically taller to to make room for an extra oil-control piston ring. It uses 4 piston rings vs 3 piston rings for a regular deck 427.
I understand that they have a 3rd oil ring. I read that you can use 427 or 454 pistons with the rods 6.535 in length.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I can't corroborate this pan also fits your 427 proposal but Milodon makes a high capacity oil pan that will clear Impala running gear with either a Mark IV, V, or VI 454+. I have a 30970 in my car. Not cheap, but it fits.

Milodon Chevy Big Block Oil Pans

The oil pan dimensions used to be easy to find but apparently not today. I'm sure they would send it on request.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't corroborate this pan also fits your 427 proposal but Milodon makes a high capacity oil pan that will clear Impala running gear with either a Mark IV, V, or VI 454+. I have a 30970 in my car. Not cheap, but it fits.

Milodon Chevy Big Block Oil Pans

The oil pan dimensions used to be easy to find but apparently not today. I'm sure they would send it on request.
I'll have to look at this. I've seen others take a 4 quart but this would definitely be better with a higher capacity. The price is more than I was looking at for some companies but not as bad as I was expecting when you said it wasn't cheap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you considered a small block? Either a 383? or 400?

Both can be 'built' easily to better the hp and torque of the OEM 427.

Just a suggestion.

Pete
I've looked at doing a 350. I know there are a thousand other ways to do it. Asking about this because its something that interests me.

There are engines that are easier, more parts, more hp etc etc. Just want to try this.

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
116 Posts
I support the unique engine build... it's why I have a 348 in the barn waiting for a rebuild for the Impala. I think a torquey big block that isn't set up for high RPM running is a great match for cruising in these big heavy cars. But that's also my use case - some members have gone the pro-touring route (watched some of those cars do the time attack course at the York show this year, I definitely see the appeal) but that requires a different engine build.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I support the unique engine build... it's why I have a 348 in the barn waiting for a rebuild for the Impala. I think a torquey big block that isn't set up for high RPM running is a great match for cruising in these big heavy cars. But that's also my use case - some members have gone the pro-touring route (watched some of those cars do the time attack course at the York show this year, I definitely see the appeal) but that requires a different engine build.
It's something different. It's definitely not the easiest route, or economical. Im getting it for dirt cheap. It'll be interesting how much it will take to work. The research I've found isn't too much.

The difficulty is kind of a moot point since there isn't anything, and I mean anything, that the car has. It's a frame and a body. So a lot of the worries will be fixed as I put it together. Which would negate some of the leg work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts