Impalas.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought my 60 coupe I’ve been wondering why my ignition switch is on the left side of the panel next to the light switch. Does anyone have an idea what’s up with that? Thanks in advance

here’s a pic
Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I was planning on seeing something modified, but that sure looks factory. Never saw one before. Was your car built outside of the US?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You might want to post your Cowl Tag. We have some experts on here that may be able to tell you some more about it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
What does the right side look like? Is there anything in place of where the ignition switch should be?

Interestingly, the location you have would not work with factory AC, as there is a vent in that position. Perhaps somebody with a bad right hand fingers, went through great lengths to customize the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never seen anything like it. Reminds me of a ('70 Datsun?) pickup I saw in the '80s, ignition on the left. Here are two images from the parts book. That'd be a ton of work to create the ignition words on that Impala bright trim piece. Which plant built this car? Any other info you can share about its origin or history? Could you please post a photo of the center dash--what is in the traditional ignition location? Is there an extension to the wiring harness for this remote ignition switch, and does it look OE or home-made?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE: "vin says Los Angeles plant. Cowl tag has body 4218. Can’t find anything on the 4218 meaning."

Mr. Moves, was the code BODY VN 4218 on the Cowl Tag, and 01837L11xxxx on the VIN tag? Would you share the TRIM, PAINT, ACC, and any stray codes from the Cowl Tag (you may message me directly if you don't want all to see). Still curious about what the inboard dash trim piece looks like. Can you put your camera near the brake pedal and show the back of headlight and ignition switches? Does the wiring look homemade, or as "factory" looking as the dash trim plate? How about 3 more angles of the ignition switch and unique face plate? Was the ignition moved to accommodate the under-dash A/C vents and/or controller?
The Body number (your 4218) is a sequential tracker for Fisher Body Division, since they welded together the body shells, then installed the wiring, glass, dash and upholstery components before sending that unit to Chevrolet Division to be mated to a chassis with driveline and front-end and the VIN.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts