Impalas.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello…1964 Impala SS. Looking to replace radiator core support and lower valance. Is there any special tools needed and is there any weld spots to remove for taking these parts off and replacing them?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The Core Support totally un-bolts. No special tools needed, but not the easiest job if your car is altogether. Let us know more in detail on the "lower valance". A '64 really doesn't have one, but let us know what part you are referring to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
62BillT…thanks for the information. Hubbards Impala Parts catalog refers to the piece as a Front Valance Panel and Classic Industries refers as a Front Bumper Filler Panel. Hopefully they are the same just called differently by each.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I checked the Hubbard's catalog and saw the part that you are referring to and I call that a "Splash Pan". That's 3 different names for it, lol. That too will just un-bolt.

That name is from the old days. On the old Chevys, that's what we used to call them. On my '56, that came without a bumper, I cut the Splash Pan even with the grille and put on a bar for a bumper. Driving it in the first big rain storm, I ran through a large puddle and a wave of water flew up on the windshield. I said to myself, I guess I know now what they call them "Splash Pans".

• Haha
Reactions: 65_&_67_Impala

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 62…just got my 64 back last month from a frame off start…frame blasted and painted and all new parts put underneath and body sat back on the frame, firewall smoothed, body blasted, new metal where there was rust, and primered and engine painted and dressed. So I’m going to give it a go at doing the majority of the rest of the work myself as much as possible. The restoration shops are a little toooo expensive for me and when the guy told me that I’m still 700 hours more work and $40 an hour to complete it…I thought I better start getting my hands dirty!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am glad to hear that somebody else feels the estimate is way off also. I’m not building a show car either but with what is left to do, I was thinking no more than 10k for finishing it up. Well I will try and find someone that will just paint it for me after I have done all the blocking/sanding. What am I looking at just for LABOR only for someone to “only” paint the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts