Impalas.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon!

I took my 1967 Impala out to run an errand today (trip to Advanced Auto for parts to fix a 2000 Jetta..go figure) and noticed hat looks like an oil leak at the rear passenger side wheel area. I've attached a couple images in case they help.

The inside of the wheel well was wet as well, but I had driven through some water on the road that was running off a water lawn. I checked the brake fluid level to make sure it wasn't something faulty there but the level in the master cylinder hadn't dropped significantly and the fluid (though on the floor of the garage) was much darker than the brake fluid by far.

My assumption is that this is going to be a faulty seal (or bearing maybe) that needs replacing but I wanted to run it past trusted folks here before I take it in and potentially get sold something I might not need. The last time it was in the shop about a year and a half ago the mechanics replaced the seals on the rear axle if that information helps at all.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice. Y'all are always incredibly helpful.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,915 Posts
Looks like a bad rear axle seal to me. I had to replace one on my 65 last year. Not a bad job. If the rear end grease is on the rear brake shoes you might as well replace them also.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If the axles have some wear on them where the rubber seal rubs, you can get offset seals that will solve that problem.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If the axles have some wear on them where the rubber seal rubs, you can get offset seals that will solve that problem.
Tom, I tried the offset bearings and seals on my 65 and had bad luck. The offset bearing rides on a different portion of the axle, more towards the outside. This causes the seal design to be pretty thin looking. I wasn't impressed when I was installing them, and sure enough, after not too long, the seals leaked and destroyed a new set of brakes.

My fix was new Moser axles and going back to the original bearing and seal design. And another new set of brakes. No leaks now.:noway:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts