Impalas.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 1966 Impala convertible with a 10 bolt rear end and the rear cross member that the rear upper control arm attaches too gave way. I had it welded but let go again so I ordered new tubular control arm and bracket. My question is on the right side there is a set up for a control arm if you have a 12 bolt rear end so do I need to put new control arm on the original drivers side or can I can I use other side.. The 12 bolt rear end has two control arms 10 bolt has one.

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
You're fine with the stock three arm. Or, you can get the extra arm and mount, and weld the mount on your rear end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. So the bottom line is I can remove old upper rear control arm on drivers side weld a patch and mount and weld new bracket on top of rear axle on passengers side and install new upper control arm. I will only have one upper control arm which is ok with a 10 bolt rear. Your help is deeply appreciated and Happy New Year

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That's twice now that you have indicated it to me what is "backwards". Y'all correct me if I'm wrong, but when there are 3-Links, the lone Upper Link is on the Passenger Side. When the 4th is added, it is on the Drivers Side. Also, the original Cross Member should already have the holes there for both Upper Links even when there are only 3, even though I realize that your original is no longer there.

Reactions: BA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's twice now that you have indicated it to me what is "backwards". Y'all correct me if I'm wrong, but when there are 3-Links, the lone Upper Link is on the Passenger Side. When the 4th is added, it is on the Drivers Side. Also, the original Cross Member should already have the holes there for both Upper Links even when there are only 3, even though I realize that your original is no longer there.
First of all the lone upper link is on drivers side secondly where do you come up with "backwards"there is nothing backwards.Y'all can do me a favor and let another member give me advise. We obviously talk two different languages.

·
Super Moderator
3,546 Posts
Not playing favorites here but I'm seeing things and reading your post just as Bill is seeing it.
Pictures obviously would help to keep everyone on the same page.

I have a 66 Convertible and I had what sounds like the SAME cross-member weld break on the passenger side that you are referring to. My 66 was a lowly 283, 3 speed on the column with a standard 10 bolt rear-end and the 3 control arms on the rear. Two on the bottom, 1 on the passenger upper. That is how the factory did it. Anything different is unique or probably was modified long ago. Yours does sound unique! For what it's worth, my passenger upper mount at that X-member was also broken as well and had to be re-welded. What a disaster that looked like - like some massive wheel-hop damage I s'pose.
I welded up that cross-member as best I could like the factory and then added a PLATE across the frame and cross-member. You might want to do the same. I drive my car hard and haven't had any issues since then. The car now has a 383 / 5-speed and a 12 bolt rear using all 4 control arms. (home-boxed lowers and Hotchkis adjustable uppers)

When you describe your car as having 1 control arm on the drivers side - that's not the usual setup hence the misunderstanding. It would be probably be futile to try to understand why it's that way or when it happened but as you can see in my picture below, the passenger side upper control arm mount is shared with the Track Bar mount. (both 10 bolt and 12 bolt). I think it would be additionally odd if you had the Track Bar mount, but yet not the mount for the Pass. upper control-arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
First of all the lone upper link is on drivers side secondly where do you come up with "backwards"there is nothing backwards.Y'all can do me a favor and let another member give me advise. We obviously talk two different languages.
No problem there. You've got your wish. Only I hope you read BA's reply thoroughly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello I have a 1966 Impala convertible with a 10 bolt rear end and the rear cross member that the rear upper control arm attaches too gave way. I had it welded but let go again so I ordered new tubular control arm and bracket. My question is on the right side there is a set up for a control arm if you have a 12 bolt rear end so do I need to put new control arm on the original drivers side or can I can I use other side.. The 12 bolt rear end has two control arms 10 bolt has one.
My 58 came with the 3 arm setup. I converted it to the 4 arm. All you need is the bracket and 2 tubular upper arms. Both our cars have x-frames. I think it took all of an afternoon to convert from the 3 to 4. If you already broke one side? The one side is not enough to handle the way you drive. Weld up the broken side buy a couple of upper tubular arms add the bracket on the rear end. I got mine from Currie. Not a fan of those guys at all. Not sure if I'm allowed to say that. If not? I'm sure a mod will step in. Fix it and drive it like you stole it!

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
My 58 came with the 3 arm setup. I converted it to the 4 arm. All you need is the bracket and 2 tubular upper arms. Both our cars have x-frames. I think it took all of an afternoon to convert from the 3 to 4. If you already broke one side? The one side is not enough to handle the way you drive. Weld up the broken side buy a couple of upper tubular arms add the bracket on the rear end. I got mine from Currie. Not a fan of those guys at all. Not sure if I'm allowed to say that. If not? I'm sure a mod will step in. Fix it and drive it like you stole it!
I got my 12 bolt from Moser about 5000 miles ago and have been very happy with it. It fit. It doesn't have any gear whine (in part on taking their recommendation for a gear set since I don't need a 4.10 for driving on the street) and it doesn't leak. I had them put Torino big bearing flanges on it since that is the most common aftermarket brake setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BA Thanks for your reply it is on passengers side so the question is after repairing crossmember (welding a plate on both sides ) can control arm be installed on drivers side or must be put back on passengers side.

·
Super Moderator
3,546 Posts
While it sounds like you only have had an upper CA on the drivers side, I think that if youre only going to run a single upper that the 'right'/factory place for it is on the passenger side.

For spirited driving I'd recommend running 2 upper CAs. I drive hard and run 2 Hotchkis uppers.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts