Impalas.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm not new to cars just new to impalas. I have recently started to do some stuff with my fathers car since he passed last year. We are talking about a 63 ss 327 4 spd car. I started with the rear and am doing the basic seals, gaskets and so on.

The main question I have is the limited looking I have done I've seen the axle retaining bolts are 2 different ways. Some go inward with the nuts on the tube side of the axle and I've seen others with the nuts on the brake shoe side. So the question is what's the difference?

This rear has a stamp that reads A293 3789812. The round tab is completely worn down with nothing readable. It does have a limited slip tag on the fill plug. I will be pulling the center section and counting the gear teeth to verify the ratio. Looking forward to any other info I can get about this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The "A293" sounds more like a Date Code. Look for 2 Letters on the flat area on the Passenger Side of the Rear. They are lightly stamped and sometimes hard to read. It will have 2 Letters and some Numbers. The 2 Letters will tell us what you have. The Round Tag is just a symbol and I don't believe it ever had anything stamped on it. It is also another way to tell what you have, although the Letters are the best way. No need to pull the Rear unless it is necessary. The Axle Bolts have the Nuts on the outside. That is the way they were installed at the factory. Just let us know when you locate the Letters.

Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "A293" sounds more like a Date Code. Look for 2 Letters on the flat area on the Passenger Side of the Rear. They are lightly stamped and sometimes hard to read. It will have 2 Letters and some Numbers. The 2 Letters will tell us what you have. The Round Tag is just a symbol and I don't believe it ever had anything stamped on it. It is also another way to tell what you have, although the Letters are the best way. No need to pull the Rear unless it is necessary. The Axle Bolts have the Nuts on the outside. That is the way they were installed at the factory. Just let us know when you locate the Letters.

Bill
Now when you say the nuts are on the outside do you mean outside of the brakes as pointing to the center of the car? And i'm pulling the center cause every seal and gasket on it is leaking.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Right, the Nuts for the Axle Retaining Plate are on the outside facing the center of the car.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
So the round tab attached to the bolts of the pumpkins also indicate which ratio is inside. A round tab would indicate a 3:36 or a round tab with two holes would be a 3:55.
Someone once posted a good diagram of the different ones and their related ratios. I believe it was on Chevytalk. If I run into it again, I will post it on here.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Also note, that most Tags are missing. Most likely from when the car was worked on through the years. Probably from a leaking gasket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that info guys. It does all match up on the car, "am" casting, round tag and when I had it out changing seals it does a teeth count of 39 and 11 which is 3.36. Now just waiting for my next chance to finishing all of the rest of the rear end. It's getting new seals and gaskets, axle bearings, brakes and lines followed by springs and shocks. Then there's a front disc conversion sitting in boxes on the floor next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts