Impalas.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im new to this forum

i have 1963 impala with a 350 2 speed tran

when the car is cold it fires right up with no problems, but once the engine gets warm i cannot restart the car, if i keep trying to start it, the battery terminals get burnt, and my starter gets fried

i have rebuild my starter about 2-3 times now

please if some can help me

·
Super Moderator
13,089 Posts
Two issues with a starter that is sensitive to heat. First is a starter that is dragging has issues as the various metal parts inside expand at different rates so it physically binds. This is a result of worn bushings and a worn housing which is easier to replace unless everything has to be numbers matching.

The other common complaint is heat soak caused by headers that bake radiant heat from primary tubes that are too close to the starter motor. Here a heat shield and thermal wrap helps as do replacing the starter with a mini gear drive starter that is three inches smaller in diameter to get away from the headers.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Another issue is the old wiring from the key to the solenoid. It can also get hot from the engine, which adds resistance to the wire. The old wire/switch may already have a higher resistance than original due to age, so the combo can cause issues. They sell a relay kit that lets the key switch trigger a relay placed near the solenoid to make sure it is getting full power.

Also, it sounds strange that the terminals on the battery are getting burnt and the starter is getting trashed. How much "trying" are you doing?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
can't start

Before we advise, what is happening when the car is hot? Does it crank and not start, or does it just click, or nothing at all?

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I forgot to add when I try to restart the car it cranks but it does not start, if I try to crank it more than 3-4 seconds it keeps cranking even when I take the key out
That's when the battery terminals get fried
I don't mind changing the starter matching numbers are not that important to me

Thank you for the input

1 - 6 of 6 Posts