Impalas.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,
Prior to purchasing my car, I purchased a set of original SS hubs (14"). Yes, I know, a bit backwards. I eventually found and purchased my 63 HT 2dr with front disc brakes. Needless to say with 11" rotors and 9" calipers, the smallest wheel I can use is a 15". I want the original hubs on the car. Can someone suggest the correct size rotor and caliper that will fit a 14" wheel AT A DECENT PRICE? Of course, I've been to several shops and they see $ when an unknowledgeable female approaches. They point me to the most expensive replacement sets and very short on information. I'd greatly appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
74 Posts
Have you tried test fitting the wheel? When I did the disc brakes on my '61 the kit advised that not all 14" wheels would fit and what I gathered is some of the older style steel wheels had a smaller diameter internal barrel while certain steel wheels or aluminum wheels had more clearance and would fit. I also remember reading that some were very close and some slight clearancing on the caliper let everything fit nicely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried test fitting the wheel? When I did the disc brakes on my '61 the kit advised that not all 14" wheels would fit and what I gathered is some of the older style steel wheels had a smaller diameter internal barrel while certain steel wheels or aluminum wheels had more clearance and would fit. I also remember reading that some were very close and some slight clearancing on the caliper let everything fit nicely.
I

I took her to a wheel shop and was told that I needed to grind down the calipers. I went to another shop which recommended that I use steelies from a GBody...the steelies wouldn't clear the rotor/caliper. The first 2 shops didn't seem too interested since I didn't want to buy their overpriced conversion kits. I went to a 3rd shop and was told it's the size of the rotor (11") and caliper (9") and without converting down, the smallest wheel would be 15s. I guess I need to know which kit and size....somewhere to start would be great. I'm looking for a complete kit but can't afford to spend upwards of $700. thx for your help.

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
74 Posts
I

I took her to a wheel shop and was told that I needed to grind down the calipers. I went to another shop which recommended that I use steelies from a GBody...the steelies wouldn't clear the rotor/caliper. The first 2 shops didn't seem too interested since I didn't want to buy their overpriced conversion kits. I went to a 3rd shop and was told it's the size of the rotor (11") and caliper (9") and without converting down, the smallest wheel would be 15s. I guess I need to know which kit and size....somewhere to start would be great. I'm looking for a complete kit but can't afford to spend upwards of $700. thx for your help.
It is pretty challenging if you can't or aren't able to do much of the work yourself, finding trustworthy shops with classic cars is not easy in my area.

Personally, I would try to mount the 14" wheel myself. You should get a pretty good idea how much material would need to be removed from the caliper and whether that is reasonable or not.

From what I remember, the kits that guarantee fitment with a 14" wheel were quite a bit pricier than the "regular" kits.

I'm not sure I'd want to go much smaller with rotor/caliper/pads on such a large car, this is certainly something to consider since most of the conversion kits are based on later midsize parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is pretty challenging if you can't or aren't able to do much of the work yourself, finding trustworthy shops with classic cars is not easy in my area.

Personally, I would try to mount the 14" wheel myself. You should get a pretty good idea how much material would need to be removed from the caliper and whether that is reasonable or not.

From what I remember, the kits that guarantee fitment with a 14" wheel were quite a bit pricier than the "regular" kits.

I'm not sure I'd want to go much smaller with rotor/caliper/pads on such a large car, this is certainly something to consider since most of the conversion kits are based on later midsize parts.
Yes, I wish I had the tools and knowledge to change out myself. Calling Truck/Car Shop and Classic Industries to inquire. Then I will have to find someone to change out without charging the price of my first born.

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Lots of 70s and 80s mid size RWD GM cars came with the small front discs and 14" wheels (and have 4.75 bolt pattern).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts