Impalas.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a 1964 impala 4 door. Ok so the drivers rear is down 1 1/2. The drivers front is down a 1/2 inch. So far what i have done is put new shocks at all the corners. New springs in rear. All new poly body mounts. New poly bushings in the rear control arms. Still no change. Scratching my head. Next would be the front springs. But i cant see that it would lift the car 3/4 of an inch in the rear. Tje reason i say 3/4 is because i think thats the difference for both sides to be equal not the true 1 1/2 thats down right?. Needs some ideas and helped.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's what we call the 'Chevy lean'. If you're driving on a crested road, or if you torque it up, it will ride level!! Seriously, I don't know, but a lot of old Chevys do lean, pretty much as described. . . .

·
Super Moderator
3,474 Posts
Is this a convertible and even if not, have you checked the top of the drivers rear spring pocket to see if it might be rusted and allowing the top of the spring to poke through? I have had 2 leaning situations on my 66. One was a rusty rear spring pocket (convertible) and the other was a bit of a bent frame up front.

Not sure what you're using as your measuring guide, but it sounds like you're using the eyeball method. I'd say stop doing that. :)
How sure are you that your frame isn't bent/tweaked? I'd say take it to an old school shop and get checked, but, you might get a clue if you can find a flat place to park and measuring from the frame to the ground at different points, front and rear, right and left.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a 4 door hard top with posts. I now have it to only 3/4 of an inch in the back after doing shocks all around. I am measuring from a level ground to the lip of the wheel well. When u lift the body in front it lifts the back some. So im gonna try the front springs next. As for the spring perchs they are all solid. One thing that i found in the rear when i was rebuilding it was a bent track bar and a smooshed fuel tank. I was told it was from a forklift at the auction yard. So i put a new fuel tank in and rebent the track bar. Didnt find any other damage. So if i put the front springs in i should get a little height back. If im still down im gonna use an Air lift 1000 kit.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts